XR650R Rubber Mounted Handlebars with SUB mount!

OK you XR650R Dual Sport Adventurers! I’m trying to put together a group buy for a custom made triple clamp that uses the CRF450 rubber mounts and ALSO has mounts for a SUB mount damper for our XR650Rs.

This should greatly reduce the handlebar vibration and shock impact. Also, it should be a LOT better for any electronics (GPS, digital speedometers) you want to run on the bike.

I’m looking at getting the triple clamp and SUB mount ONLY. This gives a lot of possibilities. You get rubber-mounted bars right away. Guys that already have a damper can use what they have. Guys that don’t want a damper right a way can hold off and get it later. If you already have the SUB damper, you can upgrade to rubber-mounted bars and eBay the old stuff.

I don’t have any prices right now but I think we will get a real good deal compared to what’s available right now WITHOUT rubber-mounted bars. BE ADVISED that the buy will not be for awhile, probably a month or so…

THIS MAY BE A ONE SHOT DEAL! NO ONE MAKES A RUBBER-MOUNTED HANDLEBAR SETUP FOR THE XR650R!!! I’ve written to all the companies that do SUB mounts and they all said they would NOT do a rubber-mounted version for the XR650R!!!

If you have any interest, please let me know now, you MAY NOT get a second shot at this once the order has been placed.

try calling tri-star racing. they are located in mass. i think in shrewsbury.

and for the record i absolutely hate rubber mounted clamps. they are always twisting in the bar mounts leaving your bike feeling like it is crooked

I would be interested. Make sure that the mounts can be flipped around to move the handlebars forward or back. I would like to move my bars forward a bit more.

http://www.tristarracing.com/ not that is matter but they custom engrave pretty much anything you want on the clamps also.
I would be interested. Make sure that the mounts can be flipped around to move the handlebars forward or back. I would like to move my bars forward a bit more.
Oh, I would want them further forward myself. That’s on the list. I sent you mail...
try calling tri-star racing. they are located in mass. i think in shrewsbury. And for the record i absolutely hate rubber mounted clamps. they are always twisting in the bar mounts leaving your bike feeling like it is crooked
I checked that website but they seem very expensive. I’m trying to do this as economically as possible. I’ll keep them in mind if this deal falls through though…

I’ve never ridden with rubber mounted bar clamps, but then again I haven’t ridden for 20 years. When I did ride, it wasn’t unusual to pull up to a convenient tree and tweak the forks back into position. Either that or hold the front wheel between the legs and tweak the bars back into position. I always thought that was just a normal part of dirt riding…

Can’t wait to test my new plate with a nice pavement run tomorrow! :thumbsup:

The misalignment issues with rubber mounting can get real annoying after a bad crash. My CRF450 never felt right after a few hard crashes because I could never tell if the bars were bent, the clamps were off, or the wheel was a bit twisted; always had to just loosen and retighten everything. A set of FaastCo Flex bars or original Easton Pro-Tapers (if you can find them) go a long way to taking out the shock being transmitted to your wrists.

The misalignment issues with rubber mounting can get real annoying after a bad crash. My CRF450 never felt right after a few hard crashes because I could never tell if the bars were bent, the clamps were off, or the wheel was a bit twisted; always had to just loosen and retighten everything. A set of FaastCo Flex bars or original Easton Pro-Tapers (if you can find them) go a long way to taking out the shock being transmitted to your wrists.
Rather than spend $300 on handlebars, I’d rather put it toward a SUB mounted Scotts and try to avoid the big crash! LOL…

I’ve had the same happen without rubber-mounted bars. Just find a convenient tree and tweak things back into alignment or put the front wheel between your legs and tweak the bars back. The tree is better…

OK, I’ve got 4 people that want a total of 5 clamps so I can start the ball rolling and get a price for the triple clamp and SUB mount. I’ll post a price as soon as I can…

UPDATE:

All this is VERY tentative right now. I’ve been researching this for months and even went as far as buying a triple clamp for the CRF450 off eBay. After taking a look at it I found that it needs a LOT of modification. I started talking to Michael who modified the CFR450 clamps for the XR650R, but he used the CRF450 forks as well. They are the upside down jobs and much larger diameter than the XR. Michael also made his own SUB damper mount before anyone else came up with the idea.

He told me to try Ron Wallace of RSW Racing. Ron’s web site is: http://www.rswracing.com/ I talked to Ron Friday and he’s somewhat interested in the project and we need to hash out the details. He said he needed about 5 units to break even on the development work to make it worthwhile, and now I have people interested in 10 units. The interest is higher than I expected.

He currently has triple clamps for the XR650R, but they, like all the other manufactures, don’t have the rubber mounts. Michael is willing to give Ron the information to make the SUB mount. What I’m trying to do is get Ron to work up a deluxe triple clamp kit that will be similar to the BRP SUB setup for the CRF only fit the XR.

I already talked to BRP and they said they wouldn’t be doing a rubber-mounted kit for our bikes. I also tried several other places as well. No one has any interest in such a low volume fab. Fortunately, Ron seems willing to do this in the hopes that it will become popular. I told Ron that the XR650R is becoming a popular bike to Dual Sport and he would be in the catbird seat if he could offer something that no one else has’

You can check out the normal clamps Ron’s site. I’m hoping that I can get Ron to work up a prototype that I can test and once we get it dialed in, he can go into production. He will have to front some bucks for the tool that makes the cones for the rubber washers and also come up with the SUB mount as well.

I think this is an excellent project as the little riding I have done on the XR650R sure makes bar vibration a priority, for me anyway. We haven’t even talked prices at this stage, but I would be willing to pay the BRP price if it meant getting rubber mounted bars. If it works out cheaper then that's gravy...

So, as you can see, this may or may not get off the ground. I was going to go with the BRP kit, but I’m willing to hold off for a better solution, how about you?

i was looking around the web a bit and noticed www.brpit.com has i think exactly what you are looking for. they got the upper and lower clamps, they are adjustable, they have a mount for a stabilizer and also another mount for a computer thing.

i was looking around the web a bit and noticed www.brpit.com has i think exactly what you are looking for. they got the upper and lower clamps, they are adjustable, they have a mount for a stabilizer and also another mount for a computer thing.
Yup! BUT NO RUBBER MOUNTED HANDLEBARS FOR THE XR650R! They do have them for just about everything else...

Count Me In 100%. I Dont Run A Stablizer But Have A Garmin Gps On A Ram Handlebar Mount. I Have The Stock Bars Right Now Also.

Count Me In 100%. I Dont Run A Stablizer But Have A Garmin Gps On A Ram Handlebar Mount. I Have The Stock Bars Right Now Also.
Ok, that makes you #9 so far. I’m currently trying to get a price, but it’s spring and the busy season for bike accessories... I’ll post it when I get it and I’ll try to contact everyone that’s interested by PM....I’m currently trying to get a price, but it’s spring and the busy season for bike accessories... I’ll post it when I get it and I’ll try to contact everyone that’s interested by PM....
Ok, that makes you #9 so far. I’m currently trying to get a price, but it’s spring and the busy season for bike accessories... I’ll post it when I get it and I’ll try to contact everyone that’s interested by PM....I’m currently trying to get a price, but it’s spring and the busy season for bike accessories... I’ll post it when I get it and I’ll try to contact everyone that’s interested by PM....

Count me in. :thumbsup:

Count me in. :thumbsup:
OK, your #10

NOTE: It’s first come, first serve. I’m keeping a list by number so if and when we get these fabricated, I’ll go down the list in the order people responded. Hopefully there will be enough to go around the first time. The sooner you get on the list the better your chance of getting one. :thumbsup:

and for the record i absolutely hate rubber mounted clamps. they are always twisting in the bar mounts leaving your bike feeling like it is crooked

Ditto. :thumbsup:

Call these guys http://www.brpit.com/

I just ordered a triple clamp set for my '06 XR650L and pro-taper bars to go along with it. All items where on the shelf. I didn't get rubber mounted, but I believe it's available.

Call these guys http://www.brpit.com/

I just ordered a triple clamp set for my '06 XR650L and pro-taper bars to go along with it. All items where on the shelf. I didn't get rubber mounted, but I believe it's available.

Congratulations on the new setup!

I don’t know what the deal with rubber mounted XR650L bars, I have only researched the available triple clamps with rubber mounted bars for the XR650R. Did you get the SUB mount and damper?

I not only checked the BRP site, I emailed them and told them I wanted the SUB mount kit with the rubber mounted bars... They emailed me back and said they don’t make them for the XR650R and they had NO plans to make them...

I have tried everyone that makes rubber mounted clamps I could find and they ALL responded by email that they don’t make them and they had NO plans to manufacture them.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the only chance to get a SUB with rubber mounted bars for the XR650R other than fabricating a set yourself...