HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
no air charlie

Works Connection skid plate 06 YZ 450

13 posts in this topic

I purchased a Works Connection skid plate and installed it last week. It was an easy installation using the 3 bolts from the stock skid plate. The skid plate fit perfectly and looks excellent.

My problem is that the first time I rode on the track with this thing installed, I thought something was wrong with my bike! It sounded like a bike with 300 hours and worn main bearings. (Its an 06 YZ 450 with 6 hours use). I went back to the pits, took the skid plate off and then the bike sounded totally normal.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? I would like to use the WC skid plate but do not want to ride a new bike that "sounds" thrashed. I think the aluminum was somehow magnifying the sounds coming from the engine.

This was posted earlier and others had the same experience with their skid plates. It is just bouncing the NORMAL engine noise up toward your head so you are hearing more audibly these sounds. There is no problem and I believe it is something you just have to live with. I have the GYTR skid and I hear it also but not as much and I think the side vents help to disperse the noise...

you'll get used to it in time i think - and once it gets caked with mud/dirt you wont hear it anymore - im still not happy with the fit/finish of mine but whatever i feel its better than not having one.

Thanks for the response. I may try to remount with rubber washers between the plate and the frame mounts. If that doesn't work I guess I will just deal with it. Has anyone tried a carbon fiber glide plate and if so do they have the same engine noise problem?

Hmmm I did not notice this but now I am curious.....if it is snug, it can not vibrate so the noise must be echo huh? Try the mesh material they shipped with the skidplate to see if this absorbs some of the sound..... :thumbsup:

I have the Lightspeed carbon fiber plate and it makes the same noise. My friend complained about the same thing with carbon fiber on his RMZ450. Glad I knew that before I put mine on or I would have freaked too.

Also, the fit on the Lightspeed was not perfect. I had to ream out the holes in the front of the plate to make it fit correctly. For $110.00 I expected more, but now it is on good.

Kind of off-topic, but where are you guys stuffing the factory foam? I have mine in the front of the motor and wondered if moving it to the bottom would help with the noise issue.

Kind of off-topic, but where are you guys stuffing the factory foam? I have mine in the front of the motor and wondered if moving it to the bottom would help with the noise issue.

I placed a quarter of the foam in front and the rest on the bottom. Once it's caked with mud it will be quieter too like Reyndogg mentioned. I'm going to try and use an old inner tube and place some strips between the frame and skid plate to help with the echo.

I placed a quarter of the foam in front and the rest on the bottom. Once it's caked with mud it will be quieter too like Reyndogg mentioned. I'm going to try and use an old inner tube and place some strips between the frame and skid plate to help with the echo.

When it's caked with mud it is also about 8-10 pounds heavier.

I purchased a Works Connection skid plate and installed it last week. It was an easy installation using the 3 bolts from the stock skid plate. The skid plate fit perfectly and looks excellent.

My problem is that the first time I rode on the track with this thing installed, I thought something was wrong with my bike! It sounded like a bike with 300 hours and worn main bearings. (Its an 06 YZ 450 with 6 hours use). I went back to the pits, took the skid plate off and then the bike sounded totally normal.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? I would like to use the WC skid plate but do not want to ride a new bike that "sounds" thrashed. I think the aluminum was somehow magnifying the sounds coming from the engine.

The first time I rode mine after putting on the skid plate I felt the same way. I went home and changed the oil because I thought I put the wrong oil in. I am actually use to it so it doesn't bother me anymore.

When it's caked with mud it is also about 8-10 pounds heavier.

Wow really, you don't say. Thanks for the info. I just figured it would help with cornering since the mud is carried low on the bike and would help lower the CG...kind of like lowering your radiators, but I'm using free mud instead... :thumbsup:

I used the foam mesh the past weekend - all noise is gone. :thumbsup: