HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob426

Choke valve stalls bike?

3 posts in this topic

So I realize this shouldn't be complicated but nevertheless- My 02 YZ426 will only start without the choke on. If I pull the choke it stalls the bike. So am I running way too rich, in which case what should I adjust. Or can I just leave this as is? thanks for your help

Are you talking a cold start? If your bike is running and warmed and you pull out your choke it will stall, thats normal. Not having to use your choke to start a cold bike thats great, I can do that too, though it takes a lot more energy from me to fire the bike up. If I were to guess, I would think it would be running a tad rich. I assume you have a nice clean air filter that is properly oiled and there are no other obstruction in your intake system...How does the bike run otherwise. A rich running engine will feel sluggish and would load up etc......

If you don't need your choke to start your bike when it's cold, it's too rich. The start/idle circuit uses the pilot jet so I would drop that down one size. It will crispen up the throttle response also. Now if it's a really warm day, over 90* and you don't need it to start a cold bike, I wouldn't worry about that.