PANIC -- Red Hot Exhaust Pipe -- Please Read

Hello all,

Background: I purchased a leftover 2005 YZ450F on Saturday 3/18/05. At prep time, the tech topped off the radiator fluid practically to the cap. I have been starting the bike everyday since to warm it up and ride it just a bit to check out the starting and tempurature cycle the bike.

Yesterday, 3-5 minutes after starting the bike, we noticed radiator fluid dripping out of the overflow hose. I shut off the bike immediately and let it cool a bit then checked the radiator fluid. The level was just below the closure point near the cap. Looked good.

Today, around dusk/near dark, I started the bike again. After about 3 minutes, I noticed the exhaust pipe right at the engine was glowing a bit from the connection point to about 3 inches. I immediately shut off the bike, checked the fluid and the level looked good.

Is this right? Does this happen during the day and you just don't notice it because of the light? Is the bike running to lean and getting to hot?

PLEASE ADVISE!!!

John

Welcome to TT. There is a search feature at the top of the page. Most answers to questions like this have been covered time and time again. With that said...

Its normal. YZF's get hot very quickly when no air flows thru the radiators. Go ride it.

Dont worry dingus,

These guys all asked the same question the first time they posted as well ?

Its a thin header and will get hot fast with out air blowing on it.

If its a new bike, dont forget to do a search here on break-in. You want to break it in fast and hard ?

Actually, no, we all didn't.

Two in one thread. You owe me a Pepsi, Gray. I just shot mine all over.

Actually my dealer told me during pre delivery about the glowing header, or I may have asked the same question...... if it wasnt on here at least once a day. ? Dont get me wrong, I have asked all kinds of dumbass questions on here, and the great guys here at TT always have answers. Sorry Dingus, didnt mean to be a jerk to you, just the question in general.

First of thanks for the responses and I accept the snide remarks as in my moment of panic I failed to use the resources at my disposal (THE SEARCH BUTTON!@#%).

I think my stomach and blood pressue really loosened up when I saw the rocket cart! Oh well, off to read more...

John

Two in one thread. You owe me a Pepsi, Gray. I just shot mine all over.
It appears that you missed the keyboard, at least. ?

Dingus, in fairness, the red header thing isn't at all unusual within the world of high-perf MX 4-strokes, but in the rest of the moto or car world, it is something that would reasonably engender an adrenalin surge. Before you start feeling too embarrassed, remember that we laugh about it because it's a Common Question. When you realize why, you'll feel better. :confused:

?