HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eric19067

XR600 motor in XL600??

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

Does anyone know if an 85-87 XR600 motor will mount right up to a XL600 frame? Wiring? I'm sick of my XL motor and am looking for a cheap upgrade, and not an XR650r. The XR600's intake valves are 36mm vs. my 34 mm and the 31mm exhaust vs. my 30mm. Making my XL motor breath is a problem because the valve guides need to be shorter for a big cam. Too much $$$. Also, how much do you think I can get a XR600 doing to the rear?

Thanks

Don't know what year your XL is, but I'd stay away from 85-87 XR motor and go later to get rid of the dual carb scenario. Should bolt right up as far as I know. The harness could have some differences. Get both wiring schematics and compare.

Anyone know if the single carb intake manifold from a '88 - '00 XR600R will work with a dual carbed XL600R head ? I would like to try a single carb on my XL, but don't know if it is possible without machining my own intake.

Nummie.

I've thought about the same deal with the manifold. I checked out the mounting pattern between both single and dual on partsfish.com. They both have 3 mounting holes on them. It looks like the single may bolt up, BUT the seperate ports, there will be a serious flow problem there, unless you gut the crap out of the cylinder head, making one port go into two. Also, a single carb may hit the rear shock. Look on the bright side, two 30mm carbs have about 12% more area then one 40mm which makes more flow.

More flow is good.

Maby I should just keep watching ebay for a good set of carbs,

mine are corroded junk from sitting outside for too long. (previous owner)