Noob question.

'04 XR650L.

Someone convince me that I should sell my bone stock '00 XR600 that I absolutely love in order to get the 650L.

Someone is making me a deal that I just can't refuse. Well almost, I'd have to sell my trusty XR600 in order to buy the 650.

BTW, this is my first post here. Full on FNG.

Many years of riding experience beneath my belt, been lurking around this forum for a few months. just absolutely no experience with the 650L. It'll see more than it's fair share of desert/trails if I get it. Will it withstand the abuse the way my XR has?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I'd say keep the 600. The 650 has two things going for it the magic button and 50 more cc's. The engine is in a lower state of tune so those 50 cc's don't help as much as you might think. The biggest down side is more weight (324 lbs).

One of my friends got a first year 650L in 93. By 97 it was completely toast.

I'd say keep the 600. The 650 has two things going for it the magic button and 50 more cc's. The engine is in a lower state of tune so those 50 cc's don't help as much as you might think. The biggest down side is more weight (324 lbs).

One of my friends got a first year 650L in 93. By 97 it was completely toast.

I'm definitely taking the weight issue into consideration. My XR's already a pig compared to the "new era" thumpers out there.

I also just found out that the 650L is air cooled. I thought the 650 would be water cooled like the 650R is. Told you I know absolutely nothing about the L model.

I wonder if I could put the heavy duty Race Tech springs for the XR on the XR-L? Also, there's gotta be a way to chop at least 15-20 pounds off that heiffer without breaking the bank too much.

I'm trying to make up my mind quick before the deal on this bike disappears.

BTW, it's an '04 and the guy wants 2 grand. Seems like an awesome price, especially since I could probably get at least that for my '00 XR.

Keep the input coming guys! ??

I would have to agree with Cleonard. The ONLY things the 650L has going for it is;

Street legal from factory

E-Start

Even with the extra cc's, I don't think the power/torque is much different. If either of the above are importantant to you, then go for it. A price of $2k for an '04 model is a VERY, VERY good deal.

If the above isn't important to you, then keep your XR6, as the 650L won't be much of an upgrade.

For the most part, the 650L and 600 is basically the same bike simply built in two different directions. Both are bullet proof, and use the same frame. Alot of parts are shared between the two.

As your XR6 isn't made anymore, and it's reputation is excellent. You will continue to get generous offers for your XR6 in the future. I think if I was you, I would keep that XR6 forever. They just don't make bikes like that anymore.

I had an old '87 XR200 (original owner) that was damn near pristine condition. It was a GREAT little bike. I sold it and my '96 XR400 to pay for my then newly aquired '00 XR650R. I kick myself everyday for selling that XR200.

If you can stretch the $, keep the XR6 and buy the 650L for $2k and see what you think. If you decide to resell the 650L, you should be able to easily get $3k+ out of it.

If you are after simply more of what the XR600 is, then the XR650R is your baby. There are vast improvements in almost every category except for downright bullet proofness (air cooled vs liquid cooled). However, despite the frailty of radiators and such, the 650R has proven itself to be a VERY reliable bike just like the other XR's.

Sounds like a good deal on the 650L price wise. The gear ratio on the two bikes is diff. also,between 1st and 2nd on the L they are spread apart alot more than the xr6. The xr6 has a higher comp. motor with a diff. cam. Other than that they are close.

It's really a toss of the coin. If you want a street legal machine that can be ridden off-road, chances are you'd do okay with the XRL.

If you want a dirt bike that can be, or is already street legal (here in CA) stay with the XRR.

The L has a detuned (XRR) RFVC motor with a bit more displacement. With a little work you can ramp it up to gain more ponies, but the L also needs some modifications to make it more dirt-oriented. Gearing changes, skid plate & fork guards, knobs, better bars & pegs, larger tank, aftermarket exhaust, tail light conversion...all translating into time & $$$. ?

I like my BFP & I don't think I'll ever sell it. It's a flickable street bike and has "decent" off-road manners, even though it's a Big Fat Pig. I've ridden it all over So Cal & Mex and it has always got me back to Point A. Definitely as bullet-proof as the old 600R. It's been a great project, too since I like mods. There's always something more to do to customize it and make it better for how I ride.... ?

Got a buddy with the 600R, I've got an L. Near as I can tell, they're very close to the same damn bike, say about 80%. If you street legal yours, you'll have an L without the magic button, a faster engine, and better front suspension and a few pounds lighter.

It all comes down to wether or not you want to pay 2K for the magic button and plates.

2G is a stellar price on the L. If you advertised and are a little patient you could easily get 3 plus for it. As for the bikes I have an L. Its super dependable and great on the fire roads but it is a LOAD in the rough stuff. If you are riding a lot of technical stuff I woild stick with the 6.

600 or 650L

thge 600 is dedicated to one thing and was engineered for just that. Off road use,

the 650L is dedicated to 2 things and was engineered for both Street and Off road, so some comprimises had to be made in both areas, frame rigidity, gearing etc.

If you ride 80% or more off road, I would ride the XR600

If you ride 50/50 and only playride on easy trails and dirt roads the 650L.

My 650L is getting more and more set up for off road use, but I like my XR250R better off road by far.

600 or 650L

thge 600 is dedicated to one thing and was engineered for just that. Off road use,

the 650L is dedicated to 2 things and was engineered for both Street and Off road, so some comprimises had to be made in both areas, frame rigidity, gearing etc.

If you ride 80% or more off road, I would ride the XR600

If you ride 50/50 and only playride on easy trails and dirt roads the 650L.

My 650L is getting more and more set up for off road use, but I like my XR250R better off road by far.

I don't know about that. The frame on my 650L is identical to my buddy's 600R. Same forks too. I stripped my 650L down and replaced all the heavy street legal crap with light weight led lights and such. I ride mine hard, and race it. In fact, I'll be riding my 650L in the El Centro Hare and Hound next week. The 650L is a perfectly capable offroad bike, and I will say one thing. I too have a XR250R-2001 model. The XR250 is more fun on serious tight single track (I ride it in scrambles), but you can't compare it to the beast in sand, sand washes, or flat out desert conditions, or big long nasty rock strewn hill climbs. I call it my motorized couch, nothing beats running down a sandy wash just after a rain at 90 mph! It just soaks up the hits. Stuff that racks my arms or tosses the 250 around, you don't even feel on the L. Hills that I have to work to get up, hammering the clutch on the 250, I don't even down shift for on the 650, just crack the throttle and let those CC's do the talkin'! Best part of both of them though is when I pass the guys sitting alongside the trail with their head down in a big cloud of steam!!!

I bought the L because I couldn't find a R (in 97) anywhere around here that was worth buying, it was a 3 year old L 3k miles (mint) for 3000.00 but I was used to the 600R so I was still looking, I rode it a year and sold it for 3500.00 and bought a nice street legal 600R for 3400.00 the L was better on the street but I didn't like it off road but it was a reliable bike and was too good of a price for me to pass up.