HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blazen

450 cam starting problem

7 posts in this topic

I just finished the 450 cam mod along with JD jet and needle. It took a while to get started but once it did it ran great. After letting it sit I was no longer able to start. It would backfire on most kicks. Turned the fuel screw out and still the same. Can timing be off even if it ran well? I have an E-line ignition so it is not as clear to line up the timing. Please help I want to ride. thanks-alex

The timing can be a tooth off and still run. (Don't ask how I know that). I would double check your timing first. The exhaust valves will need reshimmed with the 450 cam. You did check your valve clearances after you installed the cam...right?

I just got it started by giving it some gas. Usually I never twist the throttle to start. And it is popping on decel now. My main jet is 170 and pilot is a 42. :thumbsup:

Yes i did check the clearences. i reshimmed with 190, a little bigger. i will check timming tomorrow. The e-line ignition has no reference for top dead center so i may put the stock flywheel back on to make sure it is timed correctly.-alex

If you'd rather, you can simply use a screwdriver in the spark plug hole to gauge the location of TDC.

If you'd rather, you can simply use a screwdriver in the spark plug hole to gauge the location of TDC.

Thats how I find TDC. Its easier than getting a flashlight and looking in the mag cover. :thumbsup: