450 cam starting problem

I just finished the 450 cam mod along with JD jet and needle. It took a while to get started but once it did it ran great. After letting it sit I was no longer able to start. It would backfire on most kicks. Turned the fuel screw out and still the same. Can timing be off even if it ran well? I have an E-line ignition so it is not as clear to line up the timing. Please help I want to ride. thanks-alex

The timing can be a tooth off and still run. (Don't ask how I know that). I would double check your timing first. The exhaust valves will need reshimmed with the 450 cam. You did check your valve clearances after you installed the cam...right?

I just got it started by giving it some gas. Usually I never twist the throttle to start. And it is popping on decel now. My main jet is 170 and pilot is a 42. :thumbsup:

Yes i did check the clearences. i reshimmed with 190, a little bigger. i will check timming tomorrow. The e-line ignition has no reference for top dead center so i may put the stock flywheel back on to make sure it is timed correctly.-alex

If you'd rather, you can simply use a screwdriver in the spark plug hole to gauge the location of TDC.

If you'd rather, you can simply use a screwdriver in the spark plug hole to gauge the location of TDC.

Thats how I find TDC. Its easier than getting a flashlight and looking in the mag cover. :thumbsup:

I used a screwdriver the first time to find TDC but read it may not stay there.