Did all mods and rejetted,...but:

First i would like to say, WOW! Yesterday, i did all the free mods, AIS, promoto-billet, zip-ty and rejetted by carb with the jd kit / pilot. The bike is an absolute rocket now. The power increase was way greater than my expectations....awesome!!

But, i have potential problem with the AIS removal kit...the AIS exhaust plug does not clamp down tight...let me explain...

i put it on and it was snug and tight...then i took it off wanting to make sure that it was perfectly installed...but this time, regardless of how tight i make the clamp or where the clamp is on the plug, i can still spin it or pull it off with a little force. It is like there is a graphite film on the exhaust port. I even went to home depot and bought another clamp. same result.

questions:

1) does that exhaust port blow a lot of pressure and will i likely lose the plug if i ride?

2) Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

3) Any suggestions to fix my problem...ie> heat tolerant "glue" or something like that. I have read that some have threaded the pipe and put a screw cap on, but that is way beyond my mechanical abilities.

4) WHat happens if it comes off during a ride?

any feedback is welcomed. thanks. ken.

It think your in the wrong hole...

Pull that 90-degree tube from the engine exhaust port. The AIS kit plug is made to go right into the hole on the engine casing. Once installed the plug looks forward at an up angle. No clamp needed.

The 90-degree tube will slide out. Take a screwdriver that fits in the end looking left and move it back and forth while prying gently (or not) upward with another scrwedriver.

The plug will fir vert tightly. Likely needing a punch or something to drive it in.

i am using yamaha's ais kit. i said "plug", but i really meant "cap" which comes with the kit. The cap and a silver colored gasket/sleeve slide onto the exhaust port, then a collar clamp is supposed to keep it in place...

the bike runs with it on, i am just concerned that it will blow off b/c the clamp does not keep it on very firmly...ie> i can twist the cap and pull it off with a little force when the clamp is as tight as i can get it. :thumbsup:

id say go buy some hi-temp silicon sealant to keep that baby on. i used the TT kit, and the plug is air tight without the sealant, but it still recommended that i used it. maybe give that a try after 24 hours to dry.

I would say you overtightened the clamp and stripped it. I would get a new one.

I think that gasket may crush when you tighten the clamp. I only had 2 rides on my 2006 wr450 when I installed the yamaha ais kit. I noticed there was an almost identical gasket on the ais hardware, but yamaha gives you a new one with the ais kit.

You could probably buy a new gasket.

I think that gasket may crush when you tighten the clamp. I only had 2 rides on my 2006 wr450 when I installed the yamaha ais kit. I noticed there was an almost identical gasket on the ais hardware, but yamaha gives you a new one with the ais kit.

You could probably buy a new gasket.

When I put on my Yamaha AIS kit, I just used the gasket that was already on the exhaust port. I kept the new one that came with the kit as a back up...so far I haven't needed it. Do you still have the one you took off? Try that one...or get a new one.

I just did the mod a couple days ago & wondered why it was so loose - I thighted the crap out of it again & broke the clamp..

I broke the origional one off the old unit & used it (more heavy duty) Now its very tight..

i purchased a new clamp at home depot...same result. I did notice a graphite like film on the exhaust port. I will put some gas on a rag, wipe it down and try the original clamp that was on the exhaust port.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will post one more time and let you know how i did.

++++++++++++++++

also, i can't resist....wow, my bike is fast now. one afternoon and about $140 worth of parts and it is a whole new animal. if you have not done this stuff, it only takes an afternoon and frankly, it is not very difficult. It is one of those projects that, if you had to do it again, would only take 30% of the time...ken.

Get an aftermarket pipe then you will realy need to hang on!