HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alblast

87 XR600 top end noise

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I'am new to this forum and by reading some of the questions and answers here I know I could possibly find some help. I recently bought a 87 XR600 in good condition. The guy I bought it from said the top end was a little noisey. The bike starts good and run pretty strong. I checked the valve clearence and they are right on according to my Honda manual. What else could be making this noise? It doesnt sound like a piston, I had it at my local shop and they did'nt help much. They thought it was coming from the intake side. Other than this noise the bike runs good. Any ideas? Thanks!

It's not so much the cam chain that goes bad, it's the tensioner. The chain gets slack and starts slapping around. Mine was making all kind of noise before I replaced it. I did the chain too just to be safe. Best deals from ServiceHonda.

I agree with the camchain tensioner diagnosis. I would replace the chain and both guides. My guess is that the tensioner spring should still be fine, I have never seen one worn out, but the guides do wear out and do get noisy.