Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MaxAZ

Looking for an oversize fuel tank

7 posts in this topic

I've got a 99 YZ400 that I need an oversize fuel tank for this summer when I take a trip to Colorado. It looks like the IMS tank holds the fuel lower whereas the Clarke tank simply humps up in front of the seat. Anyone have any experience with either of these units. I'd also prefer something in the 2.8 gallon range rather than the 3.3 those units go at. If there's something better out there, I'd like to know.

I have the Acerbis 3.3 gal. It covers the hot start and choke, uses dual petcocks (bad) but gives me a reserve(good). Also, the kickstart lever rests against the tank very tightly.

I had a Clarke on my WR and loved it. I am going to get one for my YZ. Fit and finish was perfect, customer service is great too. My last one was $170.00 :thumbsup:

I have the Acerbis 3.3 gal. It covers the hot start and choke, uses dual petcocks (bad) but gives me a reserve(good). Also, the kickstart lever rests against the tank very tightly.

Wow, sounds like a pain in the ass. Is a reserve worth that kinda trouble?

Do all after market tanks cover the choke and hot start?

Wow, sounds like a pain in the ass. Is a reserve worth that kinda trouble?

Do all after market tanks cover the choke and hot start?

The reserve is worth it to me. My bike is plated so it gets ridden on the street as well as out in the desert. I am going to get a hot start kit that makes hot starts a 'thumb lever-on-the-bars' simple operation.

The tank looks great and doesn't modify my riding position. Check out my garage.