HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
4Takt

650R Clutch Question

10 posts in this topic

Just for reference, say you accelerate your 650R in fifth gear, from low rpm, WOT, on blacktop, and you pull the clutch and let it snap back into engagement abruptly, should said clutch engage hard and immediately?

Mine slips for about 1.5 seconds before it fully locks up.

Jus' wondering if that's normal, and yes, I know it's not a two stroke.

4Takt

It's fryed! replace it before you're stuck and the bike will not move, make sure after you replace it, you change the oil a few times shortly after, to get all the nasty crap out of the engine, the oil will be BLACK!

aaaah I think you should be fine for another ten thousand. Wait until it slips for about fifteen seconds before you debate a new clutch. Replace it dude, duh!!!

Why are you engaging/disengaging the clutch in 5th gear WOT???? That'll cause a slip for sure. You may just be out of adjustment. Try some adjusting and then give it another go. Best way to check it would be on the tar in 2nd WOT going into third and see if theres' any slippage.

Why are you engaging/disengaging the clutch in 5th gear WOT???? That'll cause a slip for sure. You may just be out of adjustment. Try some adjusting and then give it another go. Best way to check it would be on the tar in 2nd WOT going into third and see if theres' any slippage.

I agree with Tim, lugging it like that to WOT will cause it to slip, Does it slip when you hammer on it like Tim said...... :thumbsup:

I did it just to try and see if there's any slippage. I changed to a different oil and wanted to find out if it affected the clutch. I feel no slippage otherwise.

Now I have some guys saying my clutch is toast, and others saying it's normal. :thumbsup:

Could someone here who KNOWS their clutch is fine try this and report back?

The only point of reference is my Maico 490. Its clutch hooks up right away and spins the rear wheel if I snap it in any gear.

4Takt

I'll guarantee my clutch will hook if I try that. However, if I continuously do that it won't grab for long. It's an easy enough clutch to disassemble and spec out. Pull the cover off, the 4 spring bolts....pull out the pack and hop to it. If there's any doubt in your mind, check it.