HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nothingleft

Rear axle positioning question

9 posts in this topic

I was out checking the chain slack on my bike and noticed the lines that tell you where your rear wheel is lined up are off from one side of the bike to the other. On the chain side I count 4 hash marks from the back and on the brake side I count 3 hash marks. Should they be perfectly lined up, or is this normal? How do you know if your wheel is tracking straight?

Hi,

You should measure from rear axle to swingarm axle from both sides and be sure that marks lineup on both sides.

If your rear wheel is not lining up it will wear sprokets and chains faster + it can lead to situation where your chains will fell off from rear sproket.

Timo Mc

How do you know if your wheel is tracking straight?

for rough check you can put the bike on the lift stand and spin the wheel by the hand :thumbsup:

i use a straightedge to align the chain,pay no attention to those marks :thumbsup:

What do you mean you use a straightedge? Can you give an explanation? Also, when I spin the back wheel on the stand the brake drags only on one section of the spin. Does this indicate the wheel is out of alignment?

i use a 12" ruler,setting it flat against the rear sprocket in line with the chain and adjust until the chain is even along the rule(i judge by the # marks) making sure to spin the wheel each time. they actually sell a tool for this but the 79 cent ruler works quite well. if you check it this way against what the marks say,you may be a bit surprised :thumbsup:

You mean you place the ruler against the rear sprocket and then view it from the top down looking at how the chain lines up in comparison to the ruler from left to right with the ruler directly under the chain?