White Brothers E series exhaust tuning basics please!!!

Scored a White Brothers E series pro meg pipe today and have never played with tuning a pipe before. I know this pipe can be tuned a lot of different ways, can someone give me ??:bonk: a breakdown of what happens when you remove or add the disks. More power, noise, low end high end??? Help. I would love to start tuning and playing with pipe settings and jetting but I need someone to give me the basics first so I understand what Im doing with this pipe. Thanks guys...

The more discs, the louder it is with more bottom and shitty top. The less discs, the less bottom and really nice top. As for jetting, I didn't bother, just twisted the fuel screw a bit till it had the least amount of bog. If you don't have an externally adjustable fuel screw, you'll need one.

Got the fuel screw and octopus mods done already, so for a good compromise for bottom and top end power does 8 or 9 disks sound like a good starting point???

One more question, does the quiet core insert cause any performance loss and if so how much?

Thanks again.

Around 7 - 10 discs runs well all around. Start with 8. Don't bother with the quiet core. It does very little to reduce noise and impacts the performance considerably - wasted $$$. E series are great exhausts especially with the WB headpipe but they are by no means quiet. Nothing you can do will bring it down to even close to 96db and still make it run decent.

I disagree with the quiet core insert comment...but to each his own. I only noticed a small reduction in power after I installed it and it quieted it down some. I figure it's a small price to pay as CA keeps closing riding areas due to noise. Keep in mind every 4 discs = a one inch unresisted opening.

Lucky you!

Scored a White Brothers E series pro meg pipe today and have never played with tuning a pipe before. I know this pipe can be tuned a lot of different ways, can someone give me ??:bonk: a breakdown of what happens when you remove or add the disks. More power, noise, low end high end??? Help. I would love to start tuning and playing with pipe settings and jetting but I need someone to give me the basics first so I understand what Im doing with this pipe. Thanks guys...

Sounds like you'll have fun dialling it in.

While I dont have one and cant recommend anything, I stumbled across some Californian sound testing Data via the FAQ, which features many different bike/pipe combos.

Anecdotally, it would appear that the number of discs in the E2 make little impact on noise? Does that seem right? Some tested WRs just scraped in under 96Db but most bikes were up around 98-100, especially the YZs. You may be interested to have a look:

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1140/files/yamaha.pdf

yamaha.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Enjoy the pipe! :confused:

Thanks for the link:) It seems that the powercore 4 is about the same. I thought there would be a huge difference in the pipes with respect to noise. ? By the way, a side note, I finally got the right jets in and did the octopus mod :bonk: and I know people say theres no performance increase but call me crazy ? , its faster at lower rpm with a lil more throttle response buit that could be from the fuel mix. adjust and the jetting itself?!?!?!?!? :confused::confused: Anyway, just got done grinding and polishing the tabs off the stock exhaust. Time to go load the bikes up and dream of an epic day of amazing conditions in Dove Springs tomorrow with 10 of the guys!!! ? I will report back on the pipe when its on and played with.

"The more discs, the louder it is with more bottom and shitty top. The less discs, the less bottom and really nice top. "

This is opposite what I read in another thread. There they said more disks gives a better top end, witha little sacrifice in bottom end, which makes sense as you open it up you get a better top end. They also said less disks, to a point, will improve the bottom, while sacrificing top end.

Which is right?

"The more discs, the louder it is with more bottom and shitty top. The less discs, the less bottom and really nice top. "

This is opposite what I read in another thread. There they said more disks gives a better top end, witha little sacrifice in bottom end, which makes sense as you open it up you get a better top end. They also said less disks, to a point, will improve the bottom, while sacrificing top end.

Which is right?

More discs = less back pressure and there for less bottom end and more top end and of course louder

Less discs = the opposite ?