Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MindBlower

What taillight bulb does BD use?

6 posts in this topic

XR650R with the basic kit. It says C198 on the base. Couldn't find anything clost at Autobone. Motorcycle specific? I put an 1157 I had and it works but don't want to fry anything. Is there difference's in the bulbs that matters here? Or if it lights it's ok???

Sorry... my BD kit has a LED tail light. Call the folks at BD and ask them.

They are very helpfull and will point you in the right direction.

I doubt if the bulb would "fry" anything. It might draw a bit too much

current though so check the wattage of the bulb and call BD to find out

what you supposed to max at.

How do you like the LED? It looks nice, but how bright is it? From the side? Side views are usually the problem with LED as they are highly directional. If the reflector design isn't really good they just don't show up much/at all unless you are directly behind them.

Are they red LED's behind the clear cover?

I"ll call BD tomorrow, just hoped someone might know as I wanted to take it for the police inspection tomorrow AM.

The 198 bulb is the "heavy duty" version of the 1157. The 198 is a little dimmer, but more robust (vibration resistant). If you can't find a 198, the 1157 will work fine. Some auto parts store sell a 1157LL. The LL is for long life. It's nothing more than a relabeled 198.

The 198 bulb is the "heavy duty" version of the 1157. The 198 is a little dimmer, but more robust (vibration resistant). If you can't find a 198, the 1157 will work fine. Some auto parts store sell a 1157LL. The LL is for long life. It's nothing more than a relabeled 198.

muchos gracias :thumbsup:

How do you like the LED? It looks nice, but how bright is it? From the side? Side views are usually the problem with LED as they are highly directional. If the reflector design isn't really good they just don't show up much/at all unless you are directly behind them.

Are they red LED's behind the clear cover?

I"ll call BD tomorrow, just hoped someone might know as I wanted to take it for the police inspection tomorrow AM.

The directional thing is not as bad as I expected.

The "lens" does a pretty good job of getting the light out. The LED's are red

with a layer of white ones to illuminate the license plate.

The brake light is very bright.... the tail light is so-so.