HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flashback7270

best gearing for mostly dirt???

16 posts in this topic

hello i have a 1999 honda xr650l any ideas on the best gearing for mostly dirt riding also would i have to replace the chian? thanks alot im new to the tt and i cant say enough good things.

I am running a 14/48 from 15/45 stock its been perfect. you could try a 13t counter for even lower gearing. No you wont have to change or lengthen the chain.

The easiest first thing to do is just get a 14t front sprocket. Try it and see how it goes. If it's not enough then you could try a 13t front. It's quick and easy compared to changing the rear sprocket. When it comes time for a new chain get the 48t rear.

14/48 with stock 110 chain. Works great in the dirt. Also ride 20 miles to work, up to 70 mph and no problems.

hello i have a 1999 honda xr650l any ideas on the best gearing for mostly dirt riding also would i have to replace the chian? thanks alot im new to the tt and i cant say enough good things.

I'm running 13/45 with stock chain. I can just touch 90 (GPS) on level road ('00 650L uncorked, Mikuni flatside carb, WB E2 pipe). Next time I put a new tire on back, it'll get a 48 rear.

Thanks, any ideas on best steel sprockets for 96 xr650l? Looking at Sunstar 14/48 steel. Also, best chain? Glad I checked here, lots of great info!

I'm running 13/45 with stock chain. I can just touch 90 (GPS) on level road ('00 650L uncorked, Mikuni flatside carb, WB E2 pipe). Next time I put a new tire on back, it'll get a 48 rear.

Ewbish! How are you like your flat slide carb?

Ewbish! How are you like your flat slide carb?

I've got the Mikuni T38. Vast improvement over the CV carb in throttle response and such, plus it's a lot easier to dial in. I think this is the same carb that XR's Only bores out to 41, not sure though.

Eric

Wow, quick replies! One last question: which chain and sprockets are you running? Looking at a D.I.D. chain and sunstar steel sprockets.

DID chains are good, stock length should do you fine, unless you are trying to milk a little more wheel base (high speed stability) out of it, then go with the longer chain and cut it down so your chain is adjusted correctly at about 3/4th out on the adjuster, after break-in, you should be real close to all out on the adjuster (that'll give you about 1/2 in more wheel base and will help with straight line stability a bit). O-ring or non O-ring is a personal pref, I personally do not see any benefit if you maintain your chain, but if you are sometimes less than on top of lubing your chain, then an O-ring may be for you. Though I learned the hard way, don't clean your O-ring chain with a steel brush;-( Steel is fine for the countershaft, but I prefer Renthals on the rear. Between myself and my kids, I've got 9 dirtbikes to maintain, and I'm here to tell you, the aluminum Renthals wear about 3x longer than the best chrom-moly on the back. And chains run on them seem to last longer as well. Just my .02, but I try and buy what lasts, not to save money, but because going cheap means I spend my time wrenching on the kids bikes instead of enjoying mine!