HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mnelson78

how many quarts of oil?

6 posts in this topic

2 - If you change oil filter and drain the oil hose on the bottom of the frame oil tank (as though you are cleaning the strainer), then it should take almost exactly 2 qts.

You should have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of oil left in the second quart after filling. After that start it up, let it run for 3 min. and check it.

DO NOT PUT 2 WHOLE QUARTS IN for a regular oil change, you will overfill it. Overfilling oil can be bad for the bike just as underfilling can. There should be a sticker on your frame near the oil cap/dipstick/fill that says how many ml of oil to add, and it definitely IS less than 2 quarts. I recently overfilled my bike with oil, and (though I can't prove it) suspect it may have had something to do with leaking oil from my countershaft seal. I both replaced the seal, and put the oil to the proper level. No more leaks.

[This message has been edited by NEOhioDRZ (edited 07-26-2001).]

If you clean the oil filter (stainless steel here) and get excess oil out of the oil filter compartment AND clean the strainer like I do every oil change (requiring you to drop the oil hose on the bottom of the frame oil tank - and losing the oil in that hose) - THEN the DR-Z will take almost exactly 2 quarts.

And - just for the record, 2 quarts is equal to 1892 mL. The shop manual calls for 1800 mL on an oil and filter change -

Safe bet if you don't mess with the strainer is to put in 1700 mL or 1.75 qts., check the dip stick, and top it up - of course.

[This message has been edited by Crazy Luke (edited 07-26-2001).]