Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Motosprtman

Update on Re-jet XR650L

7 posts in this topic

Last Night. Right after work, I took off the carb on my XR650L and installed a 55 pilot (inplace of the stock one) and installed a 165 DJ main for my white brothers E-2 pipe.

Gone is the downhll decel poppin...and man it pulls like a frieght train on steroids!

Last Night. Right after work, I took off the carb on my XR650L and installed a 55 pilot (inplace of the stock one) and installed a 165 DJ main for my white brothers E-2 pipe.

Gone is the downhll decel poppin...and man it pulls like a frieght train on steroids!

Did you drill the slide and shim the needle or use the dj needle?

I used the DJ needle with the e-clip in the 3rd groove and 2 1/4 turns out on the fuel screw. I did not drill the slide as the DJ kit spring supposedly is just as efective in drilling the slide for improved throttle response. Essentially I have the entire DJ kit installed, however it was still lean on cold starts so I went up to a 55 pilot to cure that problem. Dynojet will tell you that the design of thier needle precludes having to change the pilot jet, and although somewhat better than stock after installation of the dynojet kit, my bike did not really come alive until I installed the white brothers E-2. I had already removed the smog junk and the airbox snorkle and installed a Uni filter.

So! Bottom line this is my setup.

IMS smog removal kit, Uni Air Filter, Airbox snorkle removed, Dynojet carb kit, 165 main, 55 pilot, dj needle - e-clip in 3rd position, 2 1/4 turns out on air / fuel screw. White Brothers E-2 pipe. Baja Designs skid plate and temparature gage, Acerbis fork and disc brake guard. Buddy pegs removed and seat strap gone. Tank wings removed.

I am 300 feet above sea level

2nd gear twist of the grip wheelies all day long.

Runs now at 200 degrees (50 degree air temparture - I odn't know what it ran at before I just installed the gage)

I shimmed the stock needle, did dave's mods, and got the same results you did. Amazing difference. This weekend I had trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground.

Are you running the DynoJet Jets or Kehnin Jets with just the DJ needle?

I need to do some re-jetting on my bike. It's got some DynoJet stuff installed by the PO but no sure what was done.

I am running the Dynojet spring, needle (with clip in the 3rd groove) and dynojet main jet (165)

I installed a kehien (sp) 55 pilot to cure the bottom end throttle response and cold start lean coniditon of the stock 50 pilot jet. As I mentioend earlier Dynojet will tell you they do not supply a pilot jet with the kit as the design of thier needle is the offset for that. I say BS, you still need to install a richer pilot.

Yea I could never get mine to ritchen up enough just going with the dj needle either. Before I baged that carb altogether I had 58/165 kehien stock needle shimmed slide drilled dj spring and screw out 2 1/4 turns out with the XRS only full comp. system.