Rim width dangers??

What if any dangers does one run when you fit a tire with a recomended rim with of say 3" onto a 2.15" rim. I see Dunlop sites all give recomended rim widths and most of the other tyre manufacturers don't seem to give a hoot! Is there an danger or does it just alter the bike handling? If so what would the compromise be If I mouted a 3" recomendation onto a 2.15" rim??

..........who said riding bikes was simple.... :thumbsup:

What if any dangers does one run when you fit a tire with a recomended rim with of say 3" onto a 2.15" rim. I see Dunlop sites all give recomended rim widths and most of the other tyre manufacturers don't seem to give a hoot! Is there an danger or does it just alter the bike handling? If so what would the compromise be If I mouted a 3" recomendation onto a 2.15" rim??

..........who said riding bikes was simple.... :thumbsup:

You'll deform the tire away from its design profile.

I haven't riden it yet (since I got the bike in boxes), but my XR600R came with motard wheels. 2.5" wide front with a 120/70/17 squeeeeeezed onto it. A 120/70/17 should have a 3.5" wide rim.

From the way the tire looks, I think that leaned over, I'll be reducing (instead of increasing) the area of the contact patch.

Harder to say with a knobby tire, but offhand, I'd expect you'd have more separation between the knobs. Might be good in mud, but then so is a soft terrain tire (and that would have stiffer knobs too boot).

--Soren