06 450- first ride/first concerns

Yesterday my cousin and I went out to initiate my new 450. I can pretty much sum up my initial impression of the bike by saying...

WOW!!! Let me start off by saying... this ain't no 426! I thought my 426 had nut, but the 450 blew it away (probably because it's packing 30 less pounds around). The bike felt super light and easy to move around, much less of a heavy, pushy feel than my old 426. Of course, since the bike was new it was a little skittish at speed, but once the suspension breaks in I think it will start to handle better. I tried to break it in per the Mototuneusa method- let it warm up then ride it hard, so hopefully it worked! ?

Now for my concern- I had somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of a tank of fuel when we left, we rode for exactly 1 hour (thanks to my SenDec hour meter) and I ran out of gas! Luckily I wasn't very far from the truck! ? We couldn't have rode over 20 miles... this has me worried! Is it possible that the hour meter could have not recorded part of the time? Granted I was on the throttle a lot, but if I'm not going to be able to go 40 miles on a tank of gas I'm in big trouble! Will it start to use less gas as it gets broken in, or am I going to have to find a portable fuel pump to strap to my back every time I go riding? I think I see an oversized Clarke tank in my very near future...

I know in the past (2003-2005 years), most bikes get around 48-55 miles per tankful, ridden in a normal fashion. I occasionally use a Zip-Ty larger capacity tank when running off road (3.6 gallons or so)

It has been stated by several people on this forum, that the iCat definately does improve gas mileage....I haven't used one, but people really like them, including the local small motorcycle shop I frequent. For about $ 180 or so, it helps the throttle response to be crisper, gives better mileage, and makes the bike easier to start. I may get one myself.

https://host99n.ipowerweb.com/%7Eicatusac/main.htm

I know in the past (2003-2005 years), most bikes get around 48-55 miles per tankful, ridden in a normal fashion. I occasionally use a Zip-Ty larger capacity tank when running off road (3.6 gallons or so)

It has been stated by several people on this forum, that the iCat definately does improve gas mileage....I haven't used one, but people really like them, including the local small motorcycle shop I frequent. For about $ 180 or so, it helps the throttle response to be crisper, gives better mileage, and makes the bike easier to start. I may get one myself.

https://host99n.ipowerweb.com/%7Eicatusac/main.htm

Don't waste your money.

I'm heard and read in several magazines the the icat is a waste of money.I can't remember now which magazine but they recently had an article on bolt on hop up part's and they included the icat in their list of product's that were a waste of money.

Update- took it for ride #2 today and filled the tank up to the top. Also filled up my cousin's tank to the top (04 CRF 450). When we got back, we both checked our tanks and we used about the same amount of fuel. For me coming off the 426 it's hard to judge how much fuel I have left, the 426 tank came down much lower it seemed like and was easier to see into. I'm not too worried anymore, but it sounds like an oversized tank will be on my list of stuff to get for long rides. Now my only problem is a slightly tweaked radiator.... I wish Works Connection would hurry the heck up with those radiator cages!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have gone on two rides with my 06 and the first ride I went 29 miles and had just about half a tank left when we were done. My buddy Brad bought an 06 250f and we both bought the Yamaha ais removal kits. I did everything that the kit had removed the exhaust baffle, remover the intake snorkel, removed the emissions, and re-jetted the carb with the supplied jet and disconnected the gray wire. The bike flat out rips now. Well anyways we went for our second ride today we went through some really tight stuff so going kinda slow and hitting the throttle in quick burst and stuff and then a little of messing around and I hit reserve at 27.3 miles I was really disappointed with that. Well we headed back to the truck and I cruised on the road praying that I wouldn't run out of gas well luckily I was just about to when we got back to the truck at 30.6 miles. I am not very happy about that. I hate the look of over sized tanks and the fact that they practically cover the whole engine and it's going to make the bike weigh even more. I wouldn't really mind fueling up when we go back for lunch. But I do plan on riding at one of my favorite places (Tanium Creek) in eastern Washington and you are out on the trails for more like 60 miles and I just don't see that happening even though they are much more open cruising trails. So I guess that means a bigger tank lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have gone on two rides with my 06 and the first ride I went 29 miles and had just about half a tank left when we were done. My buddy Brad bought an 06 250f and we both bought the Yamaha ais removal kits. I did everything that the kit had removed the exhaust baffle, remover the intake snorkel, removed the emissions, and re-jetted the carb with the supplied jet and disconnected the gray wire. The bike flat out rips now. Well anyways we went for our second ride today we went through some really tight stuff so going kinda slow and hitting the throttle in quick burst and stuff and then a little of messing around and I hit reserve at 27.3 miles I was really disappointed with that. Well we headed back to the truck and I cruised on the road praying that I wouldn't run out of gas well luckily I was just about to when we got back to the truck at 30.6 miles. I am not very happy about that. I hate the look of over sized tanks and the fact that they practically cover the whole engine and it's going to make the bike weigh even more. I wouldn't really mind fueling up when we go back for lunch. But I do plan on riding at one of my favorite places (Tanium Creek) in eastern Washington and you are out on the trails for more like 60 miles and I just don't see that happening even though they are much more open cruising trails. So I guess that means a bigger tank.

I have gone on two rides with my 06 and the first ride I went 29 miles and had just about half a tank left when we were done. My buddy Brad bought an 06 250f and we both bought the Yamaha ais removal kits. I did everything that the kit had removed the exhaust baffle, remover the intake snorkel, removed the emissions, and re-jetted the carb with the supplied jet and disconnected the gray wire. The bike flat out rips now. Well anyways we went for our second ride today we went through some really tight stuff so going kinda slow and hitting the throttle in quick burst and stuff and then a little of messing around and I hit reserve at 27.3 miles I was really disappointed with that. Well we headed back to the truck and I cruised on the road praying that I wouldn't run out of gas well luckily I was just about to when we got back to the truck at 30.6 miles. I am not very happy about that. I hate the look of over sized tanks and the fact that they practically cover the whole engine and it's going to make the bike weigh even more. I wouldn't really mind fueling up when we go back for lunch. But I do plan on riding at one of my favorite places (Tanium Creek) in eastern Washington and you are out on the trails for more like 60 miles and I just don't see that happening even though they are much more open cruising trails. So I guess that means a bigger tank.

Hey guys sorry about posting that a few times I was trying to post it last night and my computer was messing up ? I didn't think that it went through. So I copied it and posted today mods please fix it.

Thanks,

Brian

Bosco, I enjoyed reading it 12 times. I was hoping for a happy ending though on the last one.

It's hard to judge how much gas you have in the 06's with the black tank. Also a new motor will suck more gas when it's breaking in, I wouldn't sweat it, I'm sure the mileage will be comparable to your old barge.

The first crash is always the most painful one on a new bike, although a twisted radiator is spendy if you can't straighten it out. It's hard for me to tell somebody who doesn't ride how much the bike cost because they see me bringing them home dirty and to them it seems like we are ragging the $7000 bikes out.