Fuel Filter

Better yet, replace it with the WR petcock and you'll have a reserve on your YZ. It's about $20 at you local Yami dealer. ?

No need, the pickup on the YZ petcock is at the bottom of the tank.

I ran an inline filter on my 426 for a while and it never caught anything. I quit worrying about it and removed it, there is really no need for one with the screen in the petcock ?

No need, the pickup on the YZ petcock is at the bottom of the tank.

But that's exactly the point Cowboy, when the fuel gets to the bottom your out of gas, period. The WR primary pick-up, however is 2 inches up from the bottom and the secondary (reserve) is at the bottom like the YZ's. This gives you a few miles reserve to get back to the truck once you flip the petcock. And both pick-ups have a mesh screen.

And both pick-ups have a mesh screen.

AND the WR pickup is not in the bottom of the tank constantly sucking the crap that settles there.

I always run my tank on "normal", my buddy always runs his on "reserve"

We fuel up from the same cans as the same time and ride together.

His bowl always has twice as much crap in the bottom.

Not much, and not enough to cause problems, but he does have noticeably more contamination.

i have a trailtech computer and i know about how many miles i have per tank and i keep a sharp eye on how many miles i have left in tank, i have thought about a reserve petcock though, i didnt realize the wr was a direct bolt up, my only concern is that the main would run out at the worst time (going uphill,technical section,racing enduro etc...) and i would not be able to switch it fast enough. anyone else try this setup on a yz? any problems?

thanks.

?

I'm not certain that it's a 100% bolt up for the YZ tank.

I had to drill my IMS.

The stock WR tank is like this O--OO--O

The two outer holes are the threaded inserts to hold the petcock.

The two holes in the middle are almost siamesed into a figure 8 opening.

The IMS tank was like this O--O---O, so I had to drill the second hole.

It may not be a 100% bolt up, but it's not a big deal and is worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
AND the WR pickup is not in the bottom of the tank constantly sucking the crap that settles there.

I always run my tank on "normal", my buddy always runs his on "reserve"

We fuel up from the same cans as the same time and ride together.

His bowl always has twice as much crap in the bottom.

Not much, and not enough to cause problems, but he does have noticeably more contamination.

Just had to point out that wheels up has a gas tank full of shit ?

My bike started acting up real bad the other day, like something plugged up a jet. I thought I was gonna have to tear the carb down and clean her out. I pulled the plug out of the bottom and drained the fuel. Inside the plug I could see a bunch of dirt. Cleaned that up and ran some fuel through it, then drove her for about a mile and she come out of it.

At first I was thinking that my air filter was letting crap in, but after reading this thread, I bet its coming from the tank.

An in-line gas filter is sounding pretty good right about now ?

Just had to point out that wheels up has a gas tank full of shit :bonk:

Costco.

I'm buying at Chevron now ?

An in-line gas filter is sounding pretty good right about now ?

Or just stick it on "reserve" and let it collect in the bottom of the tank... clean it out once a month and you're good to go.

Put a filter inline and you'll just have to change it (I say that as I'm preparing to install a CAT filter as a pre-filter to the OEM in my Duramax) :confused:

A WR petcock will fit right in a YZ tank, I've been running reserve petcocks in my YZ tanks since '88. You may want to shorten the tube on the reserve side, some of the WR petcocks have a pretty high tube giving you more reserve than you really need in a small YZ size tank. You don't need very much of a reserve, as long as you get a warning that you're about to run out it helps a lot.

For those '06 owners, it's a little harder because the outlet is on the wrong side. I swapped the lever from a WR petcock and replaced one of the lower YZ screens with a longer tube/screen from the WR petcock. (The YZ petcock has two screens at the same level.)

You may want to shorten the tube on the reserve side, some of the WR petcocks have a pretty high tube giving you more reserve than you really need in a small YZ size tank. You don't need very much of a reserve, as long as you get a warning that you're about to run out it helps a lot.

Where we ride in the woods a full reserve is a good thing cause you might be 5 or 10 miles out. I left the WR tube full length cause I hate to push.