HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RaphFoFiddy

03 OD cable broke

10 posts in this topic

Ok, so the Odometer cable busted on my WR, I'm not crying over it. In fact its just the excuse I was looking for to get a trailtek. So I pulled off the cable and OD, And ideas as how to (cheaply) seal the gear unit assy on the front hub? Silicone the opening? Anyone else ditch the 03-05 OD?

took it off long ago. i switch between an ico and trailtech. take the internals out of the drive unit and seal it with silicone sealer. seems to me that someone makes a spacer for it. barnums maybe?

Ok, so the Odometer cable busted on my WR, I'm not crying over it. In fact its just the excuse I was looking for to get a trailtek. So I pulled off the cable and OD, And ideas as how to (cheaply) seal the gear unit assy on the front hub? Silicone the opening? Anyone else ditch the 03-05 OD?

Seems to me a cap with standard 3/8 inch compression fitting threads screws on to the opening. Isn't too "trick", but does the job.

Seems to me a cap with standard 3/8 inch compression fitting threads screws on to the opening. Isn't too "trick", but does the job.
That what I did on my WR. Worked great. And there is a spacer availble somewhere. I bet a search on here would pick it up.

Back when I got my first TrailTech (First of 3 P.O.S.) they included a cover for where the speedo cable attached. As far as eliminating the whole drive, I think that the YZ uses the same wheel and hub so maybe there is somthing you can get direct from Yamaha.

Jim

Thanks Tarfele,

That OD is like $120 it's $50 more than I can get the Trail Tech for. IMO for the money "looks" kinda cheap, but that is based on my twisted view of asthetics. Then again it sort of looks like the 06 meter with a less pleasing cover. From a looks alone perspective the Acewell looks like it would be worth that kind of money:

http://www.acewell-meter.com/pro4.asp?id1=9

a Tach, man that one ups the 06 computer.

The Zipty cap looks like the way to go... still can't find pricing on that Barnum Drive Eliminator. But if 1/2 a pound was that important to me I'd replace that boat anchor of a stock exhaust.

First, the YZ and WR hubs are different. Nothing from the YZ hub's right side will work on the WR hub and vice versa. Second, I've been after Barnum to make up a new batch of odo drive eliminators for over a year. I got an e-mail from him a week ago saying he's still working on them. :thumbsup: Lastly, the TrailTech comes with a boot to cover the cable input on the drive. Zip tie it in place and you'll be good to go. Mine hasn't come off in 1500 hard miles. Do take the plastic drive gear out first, though. :thumbsup:

the Barnum was for a YZ and not the WR? I got me some bad info from www.Offroad.com

Thier 03 project WR450 has been an awsome point of referance for me. The Vent Tube mod is probably my favorite free fix next to the throttle stop mod.

the Barnum was for a YZ and not the WR? I got me some bad info from www.Offroad.com

Thier 03 project WR450 has been an awsome point of referance for me. The Vent Tube mod is probably my favorite free fix next to the throttle stop mod.

Barnum used to make the odo eliminator for the WR (why would you need one for a YZ?), but he's been out of them for over a year. I gave up on him and asked Mike over at Anderson Racing Products to come up with one. He says he should have one for me by the end of the month. I'm going to try it out and I'll post here if it works. :thumbsup: