xr6 shifting NOT

I seem to notice when I go to shift to another gear the foot lever wont move fully & thus still in same gear. The play in handlebar lever seems ok . Does this mean my clutch plates are worn ? But if they were worn , wouldn't slippage occure?

Symptoms can vary depending on the problem with the clutch. If the discs are glazed from oil / heat, then you may get some smell and slip. If the discs are worn too thin, then you may get some noise and your clutch may not function like it used to when you pull in the lever now matter how much it's tightened with the adjuster. If you can manually shift through all the gears without any issues by slowly turning the rear wheel as you pull up on the shift lever (engine off and bike on a stand), then it's more likely you have an issue with the clutch.

The best thing to do if you're supsecting your clutch is to remove the clutch discs and plates and measure them with a micrometer or caliper to see if they're within spec or not. Your service manual will have the wear limits listed. It's pretty easy to do and most service manuals give good details on how to do this. If you don't own a micrometer or caliper, then you may be able to borrow one from an auto parts store. You can also purchase a very accurate digital caliper these days for $20 and they come in very handy for these types of things, and or measuring brake rotor thickness, etc.

A clutch holding tool comes in handy, but it's not necessary because there are ways to do this without that tool. Some clutches are secured with a staked nut and the nut is not reusable. If your clutch nut is staked, then buy a new one to be on the safe side as they only cost a couple bucks.