Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Poway1464

2003 WR450 Midrange hit ?

14 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a 2003 WR450. I was told that it had all the FREE mods performed plus the YZ throttle. While in 3rd gear and hitting the throttle hard, it bogs and stutters. Rolling on the power - power problem through the gears. Low end power, nice and snappy (for a WR) no problems.

I remember something about WRs having a governor on them, is this what I am experiencing?

Larry

From the way it sounds you have some jetting issues. Take care of those and you will love the bike.

Well it the jetting was done and set up for the PC496 pipe. I have the paperwork. And I do like the bike already, from a CR250 to this was a real nice transition. I LIKE IT !!

Maybe the jetting was done but not right? It's worth playing with the carb a bit to take the jets out and post what they are here, and then you'll know for future reference to.

Maybe the jetting was done but not right? It's worth playing with the carb a bit to take the jets out and post what they are here, and then you'll know for future reference too.

Work was done by Baja Designs

162 Main

45 Pilot

Zip-Ty FCR Fuel Screw

Since this is a 2003 and I have only owned it for 3 weeks, the carb could need servicing/cleaning and maybe a new set of jets.

Eureka! That's the problem, you're WAAAAY too lean. I'm assuming by your name your in North County, right? If so, then you're probably real close to sea level so you're going to need a 48 pilot and 168 Main. Run your neelde clip in the 4th position from the top and give her a spin. Write back with your findings :thumbsup: ...SC

sea level ~ 5000' here in Australia.

#48 Pilot

OBDUS Needle (third clip pos)

#172 Main

GYT-R Exhaust + all free mods (inc grey wire)

Giddy-up !!!!!!!

Check out the jetting data base at the top of this forum for comparison , lots of good stuff.

I reviewed the D-Base and it appears that the consensus is 168 Main and 48 Pilot. It sounds like a good place to start. And the shop has the jets in stock.

Might go buy a lottery tix.

I reviewed the D-Base and it appears that the consensus is 168 Main and 48 Pilot. It sounds like a good place to start. And the shop has the jets in stock.

Might go buy a lottery tix.

Yes my friend.... the 48 is key and either a 168 or 170 is what you want as the main.. You're golden..... :thumbsup:

What kind of disappoints me is Pro Circuit. I have worked with jet skis and many of the pipe manufacturers (Factory Pipe, COffman and Riva) would have jetting recommendations on their website. Pro Circuit pretty much tells the customer to 'pound sand, don't bother us'. Pretty sh&tty attitude PC !

So everyone should buy FMF?

Well the guy gave me the wrong info. It had a 155 main versus the 162 that his notes had. I installed the 168 main and what a difference that made - wow! But that was on the street so we will see how everything works at Ocotillo.

Thanks everyone.

L.