HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MindBlower

best tire changing tutorial?

14 posts in this topic

for a rookie? Long time rider. First time tire changer :thumbsup:

I Know there are a bunch! Read about 10 of them from searching, but they all "assume" a certain amount of knowledge, like what to do with the brakes and such!

I am a bike rider, have changed plenty of those, so I understand the tire on/off part, though 'breaking the bead' is new to me.

Thanks for any leads. :thumbsup:

I Know there are a bunch! Read about 10 of them from searching, but they all "assume" a certain amount of knowledge, like what to do with the brakes and such!

I am a bike rider, have changed plenty of those, so I understand the tire on/off part, though 'breaking the bead' is new to me.

You are kidding right?

35510336-M.jpg

I like this one on advrider :

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717

dude,

All tire changing sucks.

Be paient and cautious of the tube. you should be be fine after that. No amount of force or temperment will change your outcome.

Yep... Great thread.

Breaking the bead.... Whatever it takes.

breaking_the_bead.sized.jpg

haha, I usualy just stand on it?

You are kidding right?

35510336-M.jpg

Why on god's green earth would I bother to post if I was kidding?? :thumbsup:

Get yourself at least three nice long tire irons.

Was going to ask about that. Awfully big price gap on those looking around a bit. Is it worthwhile to get the expensive ones? Forged? Want to get this done this weekend so I can get it inspected and plated next week. Can you find decent ones at non-motorcycle shops? TSC (Tractor Supply Center) or such? :thumbsup:

I've only done a couple of tire changes so I'm certainly no expert. There are guys on here that can provide valuable info on this subject, if they so chose. Having said that, in regards to breaking the bead I just used a good sized C clamp. It was something I had laying around anyway. The only mod to the clamp was a piece of angle iron that was welded to the top side of the clamp(I use it for welding pipe ).

I'm not sure if that little rig made it easier or not but the angle iron gave me more area on the tire. Hope that gives you something else to consider.

All I can say is, 30Gal Galvanized garbage can, upside down.

Was going to ask about that. Awfully big price gap on those looking around a bit. Is it worthwhile to get the expensive ones? Forged? Want to get this done this weekend so I can get it inspected and plated next week. Can you find decent ones at non-motorcycle shops? TSC (Tractor Supply Center) or such? :thumbsup:

I don't know if you can still find tire spoons anymore. I would buy the best tools you can afford. Longer and a handle may be worth it depending on the tire you mount.