HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xbreaka

Choke question?

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys well iv always started my pig by using half choke, and it starts everytime even in the frigid new england weather, the otherday I was riding with a few friends and I decided to let my little brother come along on his CRF50, when we were warming our bikes up my brother started his using full choke, and one of my friends kind of got all over him saying that you always use half choke, and full choke ruins the engine and such.

I have no idea whos right here, iv always done half-choke, and my bike runs great, is their any truth to my friends claim or is he just hassling my little brother?

Realistically you shouldn't need to use the choke at full on for more than to fire the engine and then directly down to half choke. That's what I do. Full choke just causes an ultra rich condition which is what is required to fire a cold engine. Same principle applies to cars and trucks. Will it ruin an engine though, no, not necessarily.

using the choke creates rich condition, less air more fuel, cant hurt the motor

The guy was referring to dilution of top end lubrication if full choke is on too long (aka, cylinder wash). It's academic because a fully choked engine won't run for long, not an XR anyway.

The guy was referring to dilution of top end lubrication if full choke is on too long (aka, cylinder wash). It's academic because a fully choked engine won't run for long, not an XR anyway.

Can you elaborate on that (re: cylinder wash)? I've never heard of it. Does a rich mixture somehow "wash" the cylinder of it's lubing oil?

thanks

Your friend is wrong, and stupid.

I second that motion. Full choke to fire then directly to half for about 30-45 seconds depending on temperature. The colder it is the longer you choke.

Hell... mine will never start on full choke (well not easily) Half is all I've ever

had to use.

Can you elaborate on that (re: cylinder wash)? I've never heard of it. Does a rich mixture somehow "wash" the cylinder of it's lubing oil?

thanks

The ritch condition would send unburned fuel into the cylinder thus washing it.just don't let it run long with the choke on. Probably won't run long anyway.

these guys are right. full choke for too long will wash the cylinder walls of lubriction. unburned fuel is a solvent. oil does not like solvents. later.

Yeah leaving a rich mixture for too long may glaze the bore and it will then pass oil through the oil rings of the piston and your engine will smoke and use oil.