06 450 Set up?

Well I've had my 06 for about two months and love it. But, getting that front end to cooperate in a turn is a different story. I lowered the forks 5mm and went to a Michelin MH3 but it still tucks in turns? Has any put subz on their 06 yet? Or has anyone played around with the oil level? What tire combos are you using? I need a place to start. Help me out guys. I weigh 190, 6'1"

I lowered my forks to the first notch, set the sag at 98mm, and with a new tire the turning is great, but I'm 5'10, i've been hearing that rasing the bars 10mm helps alot, you might want to try that.

I'm 6'3 205lbs and my bike turns really really good. It didn't in stock form...here's what I did: First, raised the fork in triple clamp to the line. Next, I chucked the front tire and I'm running a Kenda Washougal front. Then I set the rear sag at 85mm (Rider with no gear) then decreased the comp damping by going out to 18 and slowed the rebound to 6 out.(counted out from all the way in) The shock is set at 10 out on low speed comp and 10 out on rebound. The high speed circuit is all the way out and one full turn in. The bike is awesome!!!!!! The front end really sticks now and tracks way good in all types of terrain. Oh yah, I changed the mountain bike type low bend handlebar for a much taller and flatter Windham bend. That change was huge for me! Also, the suspension takes a good 10 hours of hard riding to really settle in and become plush...especially on the small stuff!

the general consensus for overall setup is:

1. Main 170, Pilot 48, aftermarket fuel screw (i got stealth w/ new spring)

2. move up forks 1st line, set sag 98mm

3. higher bar bend or 10mm risers

4. 756 front tire, maxxcross it (maxxis) rear

5. chain, sprocket (ironman good)

I went another 5mm past the line on the forks and also had to go a click softer on the compression. I'm running a 756 front and rear and I rotated the handlebars up a little past the center mark.

I'm also 190 pounds and 6' tall. I tried going with a little more preload on the rear spring to make it squat less hoping to get more bite in the front but wasn't happy with that so I put the spring back to the stock preload which seems to be perfect for our weight.

I am very happy with the way the bike handles with this setup. No issues with turning it now at all.

--KT-- YZ450F for sale

Well I've had my 06 for about two months and love it. But, getting that front end to cooperate in a turn is a different story. I lowered the forks 5mm and went to a Michelin MH3 but it still tucks in turns? Has any put subz on their 06 yet? Or has anyone played around with the oil level? What tire combos are you using? I need a place to start. Help me out guys. I weigh 190, 6'1"

No need for Subtanks on this bike - call Enzo - they will explain

Sounds like you need a taller bend bar - Windham is what a lot of us are using -

I keep hearing about 10 mm risers for the bars but dont know what exactly theyare or where to get them or prices. I read recently in MXA that they used some kind of 10 mm spacers to get their YZ 450 where they wanted it.

Anybody have any info on this issue??

I'm 6'3" 210 lbs. RC hi bar and fastway pegs in the lowered and back position has given me the best ergos I have ever ridden...extremely happy. i don't know the difference from a windham bar bend to a RC hi. the RC's have little sweep and I have them rolled forward too.

only problem with the fastways lowered is the shifter lever is either to hi or too low....you get used to it pretty quick.

Pretty much you make a 10mm tall spacer of metal and put it inbetween the top of the tripple clamp and the bar mounts.So when you tighten the bolts that hold the bar mounts on they will tighten against the 10mm tall spacer instead of the top of the tripple clamp.And that is how you get 10mm taller bar mounts.

I put 10 mm risers under the bar mounts and I dont think there is enough thread on the bottom to safe maybe 5 threads or so is all. Or am I not doing it right, I put the spacer between the bar mount and the top of the clamp. Are we sure it is 10mm?

Back your compression off on the shock 4 clicks and go ride it. I believe you will go "wow, this thing corners great!" If you have tall bars, a good front tire, and back the fork compression off a hair and slide the fork up 5mm, you are there. Trust me the rear compression is the key. The bike needs to squat more. I'm running 102mm sag (per Ty Davis's) chassis guy, and that works best for me. I know that sound like too much, but it is not. Let me know what you think after you try it. I've got 2 other buddies on this set-up and they are convinced-1 of them is 205 lbs.

I went another 5mm past the line on the forks and also had to go a click softer on the compression. I'm running a 756 front and rear and I rotated the handlebars up a little past the center mark.

I'm also 190 pounds and 6' tall. I tried going with a little more preload on the rear spring to make it squat less hoping to get more bite in the front but wasn't happy with that so I put the spring back to the stock preload which seems to be perfect for our weight.

I am very happy with the way the bike handles with this setup. No issues with turning it now at all.

--KT-- YZ450F for sale

About 5mm passed the the line worked for me. I did all the other stuff but that seems to be the final peace of the front ending sticking puzzle. I am though having a flame out problem. Check my post.

I put 10 mm risers under the bar mounts and I dont think there is enough thread on the bottom to safe maybe 5 threads or so is all. Or am I not doing it right, I put the spacer between the bar mount and the top of the clamp. Are we sure it is 10mm?

If you put a 10 mm riser, it is obvious you also need a 10 mm longer bolt, right? I don't think Yamaha has 10 mm too long bolts here and there adding just up the weight, and there is a reason for every bolt length in a thread.

For anyone who's interested, TT member Coop39 (or something along those lines) is making both 10 and 15mm bar risers for the 06 top clamp, I have a set of 15's I'm going to try and install to see how they work. I'm a little concerned about lack of stud to thread a nut on to, so I may have them spun down to 10mm. I already have Windham bars so 15mm may be a little much anyways. Also, apparently Yamaha has a slimmer nut available, I have the part number somewhere if anyone is interested.

hey cowboy, is that ETA (3/9/06) still on track?

It is still on track, check this out:

New_2web.jpg

For anyone who's interested, TT member Coop39 (or something along those lines) is making both 10 and 15mm bar risers for the 06 top clamp, I have a set of 15's I'm going to try and install to see how they work. I'm a little concerned about lack of stud to thread a nut on to, so I may have them spun down to 10mm. I already have Windham bars so 15mm may be a little much anyways. Also, apparently Yamaha has a slimmer nut available, I have the part number somewhere if anyone is interested.

It is still on track, check this out:

New_2web.jpg

Congrats cowboy, guess the set up has started for you too. ?

I was wondering how I could get a pair of 10 mm raisers shipped here instead of the trouble making them, I mean, somebody's seen the trouble already...

?