426 dented header

lol im so glad you asked this cause i love telling people how to fix their headders. last weekend i raced a hare scramble and put a dent 2/3 the way into the head pipe. but neways just take the headder off fill it full of water, pop it in the freezer and when the water expands it will pop the dent right out of it. it might take more than once but it will work every time ?

Here's what I did on my old bike. I'm not sure if this will make sense, but if it does it works. Find a ball bearing that is barely smaller in diameter than that of your header, but still moves freely. Put the bearig inside of your header and swing it as hard as you can so it rolls down and smacks the dent. It should only take a few tries but it works like a charm.

darksun27,

I am curious to how you are doing this with the water/freezer, etc.

I am assuming you are plugging up both ends?

Or how exactly are you doing this.

Sorry to be so dumb, but i have a pretty big dent right in the bend on my YZ426 and it would be nice to have it gone.

Thanks for any info,

Brian

I don't recommend this on Ti headers unless you are a very experienced welder.

good point and also WARNING: DO NOT do this on a pipe that has been cracked, cut or bent because more than likely it will cause it to go ahead and bust open or bust open more than it allready has

Guys, that was a great idea, I'll admit I was very spectacle but I was happily surprised when I woke this morning to find it almost gone. I refilled it to finish the job. Now I can focus on the ride next weekend in GA. Thanks fellow TTr's! ?

lol im so glad you asked this cause i love telling people how to fix their headders. last weekend i raced a hare scramble and put a dent 2/3 the way into the head pipe. but neways just take the headder off fill it full of water, pop it in the freezer and when the water expands it will pop the dent right out of it. it might take more than once but it will work every time ?

Great trick... was about to get the heater gun out with some pressure... the joys of reading forums hey! ?

• 2 weeks later...

i really dented my header good this last weekend. I haved tryed the water trick and does not seem to be doing anything. I am on my 3rd "cycling" right now and nothing seems to have changed. I am not pluging the ends right now. Should I? It seems like if you plug the ends wouldn't the header have more of a chance of actually splitting. Thanks and I will keep trying. ?