Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
78sharpshooter

Radiator Plugs for on-trail fixes

10 posts in this topic

After destroying my left radiator and almost becoming stranded 5+ miles out I thought that a few plugs for the coolant system may allow one to use only one radiator in the event that the other is destroyed.

I built one plug (see pics below) and before I make any more parts was wondering if anyone could think of a reason NOT to do this. So if I tore the left radiator again on the trail I would plug the left bottom line and connect the cooloant coming out of the engine to return it to the right radiator. If I tore the right radiator then I would just use 2 plugs. does this make sense?

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1266/4359743/9202127/132059871.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1266/4359743/9202127/132059870.jpg

Looks like a pretty good idea to me, just to get you back to camp. I wouldn't ride very hard and take a lot of breaks on the way back to prevent over heating.

Josh

Nice machining still can the engine run on just what's inside?

No... you need at least one functional radiator.

Nice work I have often thought this would be a good thing to have in the fanny pack. I have had to cut rides short because of radiator damage before, so maybe you should offer 2 plugs for purchase to your TT Buds...........hint........hint. :thumbsup:

nice work! I have a #4 expansion plug, used for winterizing swimming polls etc, will fit nicely as well.

Nice work I have often thought this would be a good thing to have in the fanny pack. I have had to cut rides short because of radiator damage before, so maybe you should offer 2 plugs for purchase to your TT Buds...........hint........hint. :thumbsup:

I'd buy 2 too...

Thanks for the replies guys. I am busy making the connector between the coolant outflow and the right radiator intake in the event that the left radiator is destroyed. I'll make up four kits each consisting of 2 plugs, hose, 2 adaptors and 2 clamps. I'll keep track of how much I spend on materials and the time it takes. I should be finished by sunday so I'll post a new thread showing the complete kit and you guys can tell me what you think.