2005 WR450 Oil Strainer

I have been changing the oil religiously since I bought the WR last year. However, I have not been able to get the oil strainer out of the frame to clean. I hoofed and I puffed and gave the wrench all the torgue that I could to get that darn bolt out. No luck. Any suggestions?

Leave it alone...I did some research a while back, you're not the only one who can't get the sucker off. Mine is all booger'd up from trying too hard as well. The general consensus is that it really doesn't matter as long as you don't drop anything down the filler when putting in new oil. Otherwise the filter is all you need to clean...

That filter is too large to catch much. I checked mine on my first oil change then decided I don't need to check for a very long time. The oil filter will catch everything I believe. I agree, it is hard to check it without causing some damage.

This has been talked about quite a bit. You only need to check the strainer after break-in and maybe once a season.

It is hard to loosen, that's an understatement, it's a biatch! The way I do it is with a deep socket and a long wrench.

-Alex

The guys are right, it tight for a reason. All I ever find is some occasional clutch fibers, but it is too big to catch anything else. Here's how I got mine loose. Get the oil line off and away from the area. I used a propane torch to heat the area. You just want to heat it, not burn the paint off. After warming the bolt, impact it. a quick impact and heat always does the trick. Also, Loctite releases at around 300 degrees F if you have problems with thread locker.

Eric :thumbsup:

I've checked mine a bunch of times, never found anything.

I can't get mine off either. It spread a new craftsman wrench open on the first try and I gave up. I'm going to get a line wrench and try it next time I change the oil. Mabey that will work.

I've cleaned mine on numerous occasions & have never found anything in it, now I've decided to leave it & check on every forth oil change.

I can't get mine off either. It spread a new craftsman wrench open on the first try and I gave up. I'm going to get a line wrench and try it next time I change the oil. Mabey that will work.

Get a deep socket, 17 or 18mm, can't remember the exact size at the moment. I used a wrench the first time I tried to remove it and all I did was round off the bolt.

-Alex

Get a deep socket, 17 or 18mm, can't remember the exact size at the moment. I used a wrench the first time I tried to remove it and all I did was round off the bolt.

-Alex

You don't think a line wrench would work? They go almost all the way around the nut.

Line wrench could work as well, I'm afraid the bolt might get rounded though. I swear, some of the bolts on th the WR are made out of butter.