REKLUSE questions

Just got mine installed and read all of the posts for rekluse found in a search. I have a couple of questions:

Do you remove the clutch actuator arm spring? I never found a definate answer on that one.

Is it normal to have very little clutch lever resistance at idle, then more a a higher RPM? I really believe this is normal, but would like feedback from someone that has one.

How much difference in heavy vs light spring in the perch adjuster? I will use mostly for tighter riding with occasional MX.

I think I found all the answers, but want some reassurance. I do not want to blow up my clutch riding it working wrong. I am going to go and check the clearance after break-in now. i hope I don't have to take all the little screws out again..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pop the actuator spring off and let it spin around. If you don't, the spring keeps the actuator from rotating freely.

Yes for your second question. At an idle the lever has hardly any tension on it, as you rev the motor more tension is on the cable.

Real aggressive riders like the heavy spring, it raises the engagement point about 400 RPM over what the soft does. Most riders like the soft spring.

Enjoy.

I have an 01 426. I have installed it (great directions, somewhat minimal time to install) I had the hardest time adjusting the clutch cable slack. I still dont know if I got it right, but it does not slip through the higher revs. I rode it yesterday and was wierded out by not having a clutch lever to use, which took some getting used to on the MX track. It was awesome though in the tight turns on our figure 8 trail.

I have a big practice day on thursday at the Cycleranch. it will be my day to decide if I really like it..

I ordered a rekluse and perch adjuster for my 06 yz450 yesterday. It seems there are so many people who get it and are blown away by it. Can't wait to try it out, as I need all the help I can get on the mx track. Corner speed is my worst thing, Im always getting passed in the braking bumps and corners.

Was it hard to determine the adjustment of the lockup point?

No, install is very easy. The directions are very good and easy to follow. We put one in my buddies WR in not too much time at all. Its like a 3-4 beer job. Just be sure to set the correct gap settings, that seems to be one of the biggest things. My buddy who has one on his WR just put the longer cable on his, (sometimes needed on a WR) and man what a difference that made. That thing is sweet I tell ya.

Why do you need the perch adjuster? I have been riding for 2 or more years with an auto and no adjuster. Everything works great and the left hand brake for the rear is the sh!t. I could see the lever being used if the revs were too low but that is rare. BTW I still have a hard time realizing the "now brake lever" is not the clutch, fortunately it is not the front brake! With the brake on the bars, you can power brake at the start and settle the suspension in corners while winding the motor up.

Why do you need the perch adjuster? I have been riding for 2 or more years with an auto and no adjuster. Everything works great and the left hand brake for the rear is the sh!t. I could see the lever being used if the revs were too low but that is rare. BTW I still have a hard time realizing the "now brake lever" is not the clutch, fortunately it is not the front brake! With the brake on the bars, you can power brake at the start and settle the suspension in corners while winding the motor up.

I guess my style differs from yours. I still enjoy blowing a berm apart with the override and it helps me find neutral also. And when I'm waiting in the woods for slower riders to catch up its nice to take the load off of the engine. The rear hand brake would be nice, but I think I'll keep my override.

I have a rekluse question also.....If i get one and retain stock gearing...arent I going to just destroy clutch plates when i get into the tight trails and the rekluse slips the clutch all day long? How about all that HEAT? Just wondering....it sounds really nice...im worried about heat and clutches and im worried about becoming dependent on an auto clutch and sucking wind on every other bike I ride ?

I have a rekluse question also.....If i get one and retain stock gearing...arent I going to just destroy clutch plates when i get into the tight trails and the rekluse slips the clutch all day long? How about all that HEAT? Just wondering....it sounds really nice...im worried about heat and clutches and im worried about becoming dependent on an auto clutch and sucking wind on every other bike I ride ?

It depends somewhat on how low the stock gearing is in the first place. There is very little wear on the original clutch plates in my stock geared (14/48) RevLoc equipped '04 525 EXC after 6,000 miles, and this bike has been hammered through a lot of technical 1st and 2nd gear situations. Of course the EXC, to begin with, is reasonably low geared in 1st. ?

the rekluse is in my 06, along with the perch adjuster and the "different" clutch cable.

A fewnotes for people that search this thread down:

The cluch cable that Rekluse sells for use on the WR and 06 YZ450 in't really "longer" so to speak. The differance is that at the clutch lever end the cable casing is smooth, while the stock cable has a metal hex adjuster right at the end. The Rekluse perch adjuster's inner sleeve won't slide over the stock cable's adjuster but does on the new cable. That's how the new cable gets an extra inch of usable length. The length of the stock vs rekluse cable is the same when you hold them up to each other.

My 06 has 1.5 hours on it with no clutch abuse, basicly new bike still. I had to replace 2 additional stock .047 steel plates with .055 rekluse steel plates to get the clearance gap down under .042. My clutch pack is 7 stock fiber plates, 5 Rekluse steel plates, 3 stock drive plates. That gave me a pretty tight clearance...with two .032 feeler gauges it is tought to get them both in, it requires some jiggling of the plates. With one more stock plate, I could get bigger than two .042 feelers in there, so I guess "no good". I can imagine a worn clutch would require even more stock steels plates swapped for rekluse plates.

going to try it out today and see if I can get the cable slack and spring pressure set enough to ride on saturday without having to spend the day playing with the new clutch.