Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SanJoseWR450F

Differences between 89 XR600 and mid nineties

7 posts in this topic

What's the major differences between a 1989 XR600 and say a 1994? besides the obvious, rear brake and color? Are the frames, engine, and suspension basically the same? Thanks.

What's the major differences between a 1989 XR600 and say a 1994? besides the obvious, rear brake and color? Are the frames, engine, and suspension basically the same? Thanks.[/quote

I think in 1991 they switched to a better fork than on the 89s. Also they changed the exhaust. The 88-90 XR600s have two separate headers, all other years have 2 into 1 headers. The 88-90 XR600 have a Nickasil cylinder I think the other model years have a sleeve. I believe that the 88-90 XR600s are about 10 lbs lighter than the other years. In around 1991 they increased the size of the front axle.

Yes, that's about right. They also upgraded the rear shock in 91 (maybe 90). The old shock has a rubber hose between the shock body and the reservior. O the newer model the reservior is hard mounted to the shock body. The older models had dual carbs. Not sure when they went to a single carb(88,89?)

'91-on XR600's also use a different stator (more reliable) than the pre-'91 bikes.