KEEP FOULING PLUGS???

I have changed three plugs this season, is this normal? I own a 2001 WR426, mostly do trail riding for enjoyment only, torn ACL surgery (June 20th) has slowed me down greatly (became a little wiser, I'm not 19 anymore, 36 now). Went riding today and failed to start the beast after 100 kicks plus, usually never have a problem lighting her up. Decided to pull the plug and take a gander, it was black (not much build up) and I changed it out. One kick later, success! This is the third time this year, what gives, am I doing something wrong, are my settings off? I did the throttle stop mod, the air cover is removed, the muffler plug is removed and the grey wire mod has been performed. Should I have changed anything else on my ride after performing these mods? I noticed that I have trouble starting her with the choke on after a few rides and start her with no choke. Then a few rides later, she won't start with choke on or off.

I must be stupid, what am I missing. She runs great now with the new plug but in a few rides I'll only be able to turn her over without the choke out. Then a few rides after that, the plug is fouled again.

Sorry for all the questions, I know you guys are the masters, please help me!

well i have not changed may plug yet i have had the bike for 7mo(1000mi). you need to post the stuff taffy asked. also try the red button(hot start) if it starts easly with this you then have a clue on what is wrong.

------------------

wr42601

not yz timmed yet

some mods

Dude, alot of us had the same problem when ours was still basically new. Hell I thought I should have bought stock in NGK for awhile there. I was going through plugs like crazy. As soon as it was broken in the fouling stopped. I now change plugs about every third or fourth race just for the heck of it.

Bonzai ?

First off, what's your air filter like? This would account for the increasing difficulty with each ride.

I have a 98 and haven't fouled a plug yet. I change them for fear of corrosion.

I'd guess your elevation is under 1000', but how is your carb set up?

If you can start it without the choke then maybe the pilot screw is set too rich. How many turns out is it? Out is richer.(bottom of the float bowl in recessed hole) It takes a very special short screw driver.

Be sure not to twist the throttle too much during startup and turn the choke off within about 30 seconds if possible.

Next move would be to set the needle a clip leaner.

Hotter plug (lower number). Worked wonders for my 98 WR. I went from an 8 to a 7. Stock plug doesn't self clean when ridden easy (probably fine when 90 degrees wide open in the sand).

Also be very very careful until warmed up to not apply the throttle quickly, which makes a very rich condition from the accel pump. Any troubles I had were when the bike was cold.

Of course you could always go orange ..... I really believe the thermostat in my 520 has prevented any fouling issues. When cold out I covered one radiator up with cardboard on my WR.

Mathew

off the subject -but couldnt figure out another way to mail you...

im a pretty new rider on a pretty new 426 like yourself, im over in edwardsville.

did you ever find a good place to ride local? ive been riding at turkey bay at ky lake this summer but no more trip planned there till next year... and the neighbors get pissed when i ride my uncorked beast up and down the street

i thinking about posting a classified in some local papers (highland, staunton, edwardsville alton etc) about leasing some acres from a farmer yes im that desparate!

any thoughts?

by the way, broke a rib 3rd time out... know exactly what you mean about the wife thing (i'll sell it dammit!) and not being 19 anymore (the emerg room doc said my bones were more "brittle" now (im 42) got me thinking about selling the bike and buying a good walker! ) so been real careful since then! my email is gschmidtag@aol, business number is 656 9086. drop me a line sometime!

I bought my 99 used 6 monts ago, took the OEM plug out when I got it and keept if for a spare and put a new one in just to feel good. I have never had to use the spare. Thank goodness since I dont think I could get to it on the trail smile.gif. If the plug is fouling the jetting is off. Listen to the crew here, James Dean will square you away.

As far as being old goes, I have MUCH respect for your 40 + guys riding this bike, I hope to be doing the same when I hit the four score mark, but from what I have learned about this bike, it dose not like to go slow. If you find your self ridnt in 1st gear most of the time, maybe you shold look at a nice XR 250 or DRZ??? I hate to say it, but I know if I could not swing my leg over a bike, I would find a nice quad. I just LOVW dirt riding too much to risk not being able to do it cause I thought the next crash would be my last.

there's no need for anyone to keep buying new plugs. all you need to do with a fouled plug is let it dry out for a couple of days OR take it in the kitchen and burn all the fuel off over the gas cooker.

when your bike is running well and nice and warm one day, wip out the good plug and put in your old "fouled" plug. it'll start first time and then just go for a spin and you've got yourself a good plug again.

easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Taffy

there's no need for anyone to keep buying new plugs. all you need to do with a fouled plug is let it dry out for a couple of days OR take it in the kitchen and burn all the fuel off over the gas cooker.

when your bike is running well and nice and warm one day, wip out the good plug and put in your old "fouled" plug. it'll start first time and then just go for a spin and you've got yourself a good plug again.

easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Taffy