Chest protecter or not

Wow thanks I guess. I agree with the majority, in that it is better then nothing

jk :thumbsup:

Would you rather put your kid in gear designed to protect the spine, ribs, and chest from crash related injuries? Or is a roost deflector good enough?

I do have a kid, and he wears a chest protector. Why? Not because it is a good idea, and not because I tell him too. He wears it because he can look cool like all the motocross guys he sees in the magazines. That's a good enough reason for me. Not sure how we'd fare if I bought him a special design armored jacket.

Dave

Because of liability, chest protector manufacturers generally do not call their products "chest protectors." For sure they can not fully protect someone under all circumstances. Just like seat belt manufacturers do not call their products "life savers" even though that is just what they do. I'm quite comfortable stating that chest protectors do a pretty good job of protecting the chest, just as a seatbeat does well at saving lives.

No, the ones that aren't meant to provide crash protection have the disclaimer.

"Not for use by children under 5 due to choking hazard". Some on this board would still give the bag of marbles to a one year old.

You folks are all big boys and girls, make your own decisions.

Anyhoo, I'm going riding, in my nice sandy desert, see you folks after the weekend.

Boy this really started a conversation :thumbsup: If anyone asks me I tell them to get one, heck you can buy a full coverage one from rockymoutain for 50 bucks :thumbsup: Theyre a really good idea here on the rocky east coast, I wear mine all the time and almost feel naked without it :bonk:

No, the ones that aren't meant to provide crash protection have the disclaimer.

"Not for use by children under 5 due to choking hazard". Some on this board would still give the bag of marbles to a one year old.

You folks are all big boys and girls, make your own decisions.

Anyhoo, I'm going riding, in my nice sandy desert, see you folks after the weekend.

ewbish-you totally did a 180 here. You went from ALL chest protectors are basically not worthy to wear to the "cheap" ones, back to all of them back to the "cheap ones w/ a disclaimer". Which is it, really? So if someone buys a good one they're all set? It's just like buying a helment that is not DOT or snell90 approved vs. one that is. Bottom line, they'll do a better job at protecthing against the elements than a bare spine or ribcage.

Enjoy the sandy desert....you know I said that just to get you all fired up....hook, line and sinker.

My neighbor took a bike to the chest when he was racing, it did break the chest protector but there was only minor bruising......had he not been wearing it, his ribs would have cracked instead of the protector.

Don't let Joan Claybrook hear you say that!

This ditz wanted mandatory seatbelts for motorcycles. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: AHAHAHHAHAHAHA! what a moron!

Not to change the subject, but to get back to the original post, you can set up your plastic chest protector w/straps and zip ties to hold the backpack/camelback straps in place and actually make it more comfortable than w/out the protector. I just did a 200+ mile ride in mexico and had to carry 2 gal of fuel plus water. My pack was probably over 60lbs w/tools and all, but after enginering some simple straps on my acerbis zoom2 and incorporating my kydney belt, it felt like the backpack wasn't even there. Just make sure it's all strapped on tight and connect it to the kidney belt in front that way all of the weight is not pulling on your shoulders and back. And on the protection subjet, you're just plain stupid if you think having a hard plastic layer offers no protection, anyone who beleives that, they might as well tear all of the hard plastic off their boots, then scrap the boots cuz they'll be junk, throw your knee and elbow pads out the door, and just wear tennis shoes and shorts while riding. :thumbsup:

Not to change the subject, but to get back to the original post, you can set up your plastic chest protector w/straps and zip ties to hold the backpack/camelback straps in place and actually make it more comfortable than w/out the protector. I just did a 200+ mile ride in mexico and had to carry 2 gal of fuel plus water. My pack was probably over 60lbs w/tools and all, but after enginering some simple straps on my acerbis zoom2 and incorporating my kydney belt, it felt like the backpack wasn't even there. And on the protection subjet, you're just plain stupid if you think having a hard plastic layer offers no protection, anyone who beleives that, they might as well wear tennis shoes and shorts while riding. :bonk:

Right on! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I definitely agree that there are better forms of protection, but if you can only afford the chest protector, get it, you'll be glad you did.

In my opinion ^that should have summed this thread up :thumbsup:

Uhhh...why is "roost" called "roost"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Uhhh...why is "roost" called "roost"? Inquiring minds want to know.

the "rooster tail" of debris the BRP kicks up when you get on the gas.

ewbish-you totally did a 180 here. You went from ALL chest protectors are basically not worthy to wear to the "cheap" ones, back to all of them back to the "cheap ones w/ a disclaimer". Which is it, really? So if someone buys a good one they're all set? It's just like buying a helment that is not DOT or snell90 approved vs. one that is. Bottom line, they'll do a better job at protecthing against the elements than a bare spine or ribcage.

Enjoy the sandy desert....you know I said that just to get you all fired up....hook, line and sinker.

Interestingly enough, my Snell M2000, DOT street helmet says "may not protect from serious injury or death". If you're comparing a $40.00 chest protector to a $200.00 armor jacket there better be some protection differences.

Interestingly enough, my Snell M2000, DOT street helmet says "may not protect from serious injury or death". If you're comparing a $40.00 chest protector to a $200.00 armor jacket there better be some protection differences.

They all have disclaimers on there. Emphasis has to be on "MAY NOT". It's the same reason that McDonalds has to put "CAREFUL, Extremely HOT Contents inside" on each and every hot beverage they sell. This is a sue happy country and disclaimers save businesses. ewbish is just being stubborn in his beliefs. Let him not wear a chest protector, maybe he'll be around to read his own x-ray, god forbid, should the need ever arise.

Wow, who'd a thought, we've almost got ten pages out of chest protectors. Bet if we toss in a post or two about the religious aspects of chest protection, or maybe the best way to carry a gun with your chest protector, we could hit 20;-)

I think we should just post pictures of hot motocross girls/girlfriends wearing just their chest protectors? Holding a gun? and a cross? whilst spewing liberal trash? spraying ozone depleting hairspray? and clubbing a baby seal? all while blaming everything on GWB?

I think we should just post pictures of hot motocross girls/girlfriends wearing just their chest protectors? Holding a gun? and a cross? whilst spewing liberal trash? spraying ozone depleting hairspray? and clubbing a baby seal? all while blaming everything on GWB?

I harred out loud over that one!

This has been a great intelligent debate. Let's keep these up....Bottom line to all of you..."ride safe"...