wr wheel compatability w/yz 2 smoke

hey there Yamafolks

I have a question

I'm rebuilding a 99 YZ250 2 smoke and it needs wheels bad. I just ran across a set of 06 WR450 excels locally complete. does anybody here have any idea if they'd come close to fitting?

I'm new to Yamahas but I understand the bearings and spacers could always be modified, but the simpler the better.

thanks

karl

Im fairly sure all 99 and up wheels will fit. Im not positive on the front but the should fit no problem. I have a wr and got a yz250f rear wheel and it fits fine. And since the yzf wheels are the same as the yz, and the yzf wheels fit the wr, the wr wheel should fit the yz.

All of the wheels for 1999 and newer from the 125 through the 450 will interchange. I know this for an absolute fact as at one time or another owned a 1999 YZ125, 2000 YZ426, 2001 YZ250, 2004 YZ450, and a 2005 WR450, and I also bought 4 spare sets of new, takeoff wheels, from guys who went to Talon or Excel set ups.

ONE THING, you must be certain to use the correct spacers. They are very expensive from Yamaha (one of them is $48.00 if I remember correctly), although other place offer them in the aftermarket. I simply made sure that when I bought a set of wheels, I got the spacers with them or no deal.

One other thing to note is that rotor sizes are different. While all the rotors interchange (bolt to) the hub, I think they went to a larger diameter in 2001.

Is there a problem putting the odometer drive on a YZ since the fork leg does not have the casting for it? I know a YZ will fit a WR but not sure a WR will fit a YZ. Can you put a YZ seal and spacer in the right side of a WR wheel and get rid of the odo drive?

Is there a problem putting the odometer drive on a YZ since the fork leg does not have the casting for it? I know a YZ will fit a WR but not sure a WR will fit a YZ. Can you put a YZ seal and spacer in the right side of a WR wheel and get rid of the odo drive?

If memory serves there is a casting the drives the odomemter gear on the WR hub. The YZ does not have that casting on the hub, thus you would not be able to run the odometer. I don't know about the inclusion of the casting that holds the odometer on YZ forks?

Can you put a YZ seal and spacer in the right side of a WR wheel and get rid of the odo drive? Yes. Ditch the odo, buy the yamaha seal and get the YZ spacer.

fershy