Is a WR450 going to be too much for me?

I grew up riding as a kid but haven't rode a motorcycle in over 25 years. I have done a lot of mountain biking over the last 15 years though (although I'm still a kook). I'm 5"11 and overweight at 275lbs.

Is the WR450 the best choice for me? Would I be better off getting a TTR250 and giving it too my wife after I get my legs (and confidence) back?

If I do go with the WR450 how should I set it up for my vertically challanged exterior (i.e. fat a**) Do I have to get different springs? Is there some sort of air preload adjustment like on my mountain bike shocks?

By the way, I can get a new 05 WR450 $500 less than a WR250 that's why I'm just compairing the TTR250 and WR450.

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Welcome to Thumper Talk. Come on in the water is fine, bar is on the left, bikes are on the right.

Personally I think the WR450 would be a great bike for you. The TTR is way under powered for your weight. Bone stock the WR is pretty tame. When you get more comfortable you can do some of the free mods listed on the sticky in this section. That will let it breath better and uncork the power.

When you get the bike the first thing I would do is take it to a suspension shop and have them work the suspension for your weight. Stock bikes are set up for 160lbs and that would cause a problem for you. I am also in the 200+ club and will always get my suspension done before I do anything else. Best $600 I ever spent.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I would get the wr450. It is very docile stock. When you are ready, throw on a pipe.

At your weight, you need to get the suspension resprung and revalved (I had to do it too.....). You should get it lowered at the same time, they just put in some spacers. It is the right way to lower a bike and it is cheapest too. This is how they lower supermoto bikes.

I would recomment getting the suspension done anyway, it is the best thing you could do to your bike, it makes it a crap load easier and more enjoyable to ride.

I got my girls bike lowered 2 1/2" this way.

I agree with everything that everyone has said on here. go for the 450, right off the floor its very tame and very easy to handle. Do some research on the free mods you can do, and start doing them one at a time every few rides. This way you will gradually break yourself in and you will learn how to harness all those cc's better. And the suspension is a definite must as well, that is next on my list...

Spend some time working on your clutch and throttle control...doesn't matter how much horsepower you've got, the clutch and throttle determine how much gets to the rear wheel. You might want to take the beginning MSF class - most of the first day on the range is spent developing clutch and throttle control on small bikes in a controlled environment. You'll also learn some other good stuff that will apply to off road riding like looking where you want to go, turning your head in corners, braking, shifting, etc...

Than go out and get the WR and have a blast, when it starts to seem tame, do the mods and let it rip! Getting the suspension set up for your weight and riding style is key also as others have suggested.

I think I'll take your suggestions and get the WR450. Is $5799 a good deal for a new 05?

I'm just worried that I will have a monster on my hands. I was used to old school two strokes with small power bands that come on quickly (70's RM250). I hope the WR450's power is more like big block diesel truck vs. a small block gas truck (if that makes sense).

these guys aren't pullin your chain when they say the bike is tame off the showroom floor...... many'a crybabies have scorned Yamaha in these forums for "corking" it up so much. I thought I bought a whole different bike when I broke mine in bone stock (I was used to brother's yz426).

ENJOY ?

I grew up riding as a kid but haven't rode a motorcycle in over 25 years. I have done a lot of mountain biking over the last 15 years though (although I'm still a kook). I'm 5"11 and overweight at 275lbs.

Is the WR450 the best choice for me? Would I be better off getting a TTR250 and giving it too my wife after I get my legs (and confidence) back?

If I do go with the WR450 how should I set it up for my vertically challanged exterior (i.e. fat a**) Do I have to get different springs? Is there some sort of air preload adjustment like on my mountain bike shocks?

By the way, I can get a new 05 WR450 $500 less than a WR250 that's why I'm just compairing the TTR250 and WR450.

Thanks in advance.

Fred

At 5'11 you shouldn't have to lower a WR. At 5'9" I have no trouble riding YZFs and WRs. You shouldn't either.

Get the WR. If you get the TT-R you'll regret it like I do ?

I think I'll take your suggestions and get the WR450. Is $5799 a good deal for a new 05?

I'm just worried that I will have a monster on my hands. I was used to old school two strokes with small power bands that come on quickly (70's RM250). I hope the WR450's power is more like big block diesel truck vs. a small block gas truck (if that makes sense).

It'll be closer to a supercharged small block truck motor. It has good low end torque but it comes alive in the mid range and pulls very hard through 11K RPM. An XR 400 is more like a diesel motor where it pulls hard off idle and then falls on its ass shortly afterwards ?

I'm just worried that I will have a monster on my hands.

After you do the free mods, there is no doubt that the monster will be unleashed. And so you know, its a big, nasty, snarling monster that likes to stand up tall in the first 4 gears.

My story is similar to yours. I am a long time street rider and hadn't ridden on dirt for many, many years. I was never an expert to begin with.

Now, 20 years later, I decide to get a dirtbike. I chose the wr450 over the wr250 only because I got a great deal used with low hours. With the free mods, it is a monster compared to stock.

So I un-did some of the mods to tame it just a bit. Don't get me wrong, it is still a heck of a lot of fun, but I am still getting used to it. I would say that I have more to learn about riding on trails than learning throttle control. As a long time street rider, I am conditioned to thinking something is wrong when I loose traction at the rear. But that is not the case on dirt. I am getting there. Once I get more comfortable, then I will let the beast out again.

I am 5-9, 205 lbs. I have a 31" inseam. I can reach the ground, but it is still tall. I am usually more comfortable with one foot down instead of two.

I have not gotten my suspension redone, but I probably should. The bike is fine and the power is amazing.

I think you will be fine on the wr450 if you take it slow. THere is quite a bit of good advice and experience on this forum. You should refer to it often.

Good Luck.

if u have the money knock urself out and get the suspension done but i'm also a fat A&& and tall at that 6'3 and my bike is bone stock except for all the restrictions taken off(but ubfortuantly i don't have the money too have my suspension done) i am 17 and handle the bike very well all i can give advice on stay away from the ttr's and get the wr450 but beware u must respect the bike it has alot of power... but its just so much fun to ride the reason the 450's are less is because ppl can't handle them and decide to go smaller.

An XR 400 is more like a diesel motor where it pulls hard off idle and then falls on its ass shortly afterwards ?

You obviously haven't been in my diesel. 500+ hp and runs mid 12's in the 1/4 mile.

Just kidding. Had to brag about my truck.

You obviously haven't been in my diesel. 500+ hp and runs mid 12's in the 1/4 mile.

Just kidding. Had to brag about my truck.

Stock for stock I stand by my original statement. Modding either will throw that statement compleatly out the window

Yea i would have to say my 04 WR 450 was lil tamer then i thought it would be . but did the free mods to it was nice then came the FMF Q2 pipe ( no header yet ? ) . then thers the scotts dampner . love mine next will be sending my forks and shock out to get done . So i would say yea the WR450 is a great bike good luck

04 WR450f

04 Crf 150f

?

Thanks for your advice guys. I know I made the right choice. I didn't get it home until after dark so I only go to put around in front of the house but first thing tommorow morning I'm on it!

I feel like a little kid and I know you all know what I mean! Aint nothin like getting a new bike. When I was a little kid I would bring my brand new mini bike into the living room and sleep next to it... Lets see if I set the alarm... ?

We both are re-living our youth. I haven't ridden since 1978, learned to ride in the late sixties while in Japan - good old DT-1!! Just turned sixty but at 6'2" an with 24 hr fitness I manage to stay about 215#. If you really want to pick up the pace, maybe that will be motivation to get to the gym. At least that is what works for me. Bought the bike on monday, did all the mods (AIS,airbox,exhaust stinger removal), bike runs great. Stock it just didn't want to run smoothly - also backfiring would have been a problem according to the dealer mech. I will have to look into lowering the bike as suggested below.

Regards

Tim