HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
odonnks

Gray wire mod

11 posts in this topic

Is I understand it the gray wire mod, (opening the gray wire circuit), remaps the timing curve to the YZ spec. I'm assuming this YZ curve is more quickly advanced.

With the heaver WR flywheel I would think it cold lead to pinging or even less low end torque.

If this is the case what are the benifits of the gray wire mod to a WR?

I recently did it to mine but its too slick from snow and ice to really test it out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Any thoughts?

Ride harder!!! :thumbsup:

If you haven't done the throttle stop mod, it won't do anything.

I have done the T-stop mod.

Even so, if any engine timing advances faster then the engine can spool-up it'll stumble and possibly jus fall on its face.

I've messed with advance curves on 2 and 4 strokes and seen this happen.

Maybe the YZ curve is not much more advanced but I don't know.

Thats why I'm asking.

I will try to ride harder but I'm still curious.

thanks

I have done the T-stop mod.

Even so, if any engine timing advances faster then the engine can spool-up it'll stumble and possibly jus fall on its face.

On an engine where spark timing is determined by input from crank and throttle position sensors, this isn't a problem. The ignition module will correct for engine RPM and load.

Is I understand it the gray wire mod, (opening the gray wire circuit), remaps the timing curve to the YZ spec. I'm assuming this YZ curve is more quickly advanced.

With the heaver WR flywheel I would think it cold lead to pinging or even less low end torque.

If this is the case what are the benifits of the gray wire mod to a WR?

I recently did it to mine but its too slick from snow and ice to really test it out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

If you search on this list, you will find that it has been stated that by disconnecting the grey does change to the YZ fuel map which results in higher top end power but less low end. How much I do not know. I have a YZ timed WR 400 which has not had the grey wire mod completed. I am going to leave it like that because I am satisfied with the low end power and do not want to change it. I am in New England which is mostly tight rocky single track where low end is important. I will say however, that I have not done the grey wire mod to test the validity of this.

Hope this helps!

Bob

If you search on this list, you will find that it has been stated that by disconnecting the grey does change to the YZ fuel map which results in higher top end power but less low end. How much I do not know. I have a YZ timed WR 400 which has not had the grey wire mod completed. I am going to leave it like that because I am satisfied with the low end power and do not want to change it. I am in New England which is mostly tight rocky single track where low end is important. I will say however, that I have not done the grey wire mod to test the validity of this.

Hope this helps!

Bob

It doesn't effect bottom end.

It doesn't effect bottom end.
Nope, not a bit. The only purpose of the gray wire and longer throttle stop is to allow the WR to pass EPA drive by sound regulations. Nothing more.

Do the gray wire, throttle stop and all other "free mods" :thumbsup: you won't look back, that's guaranteed. I felt more power from idle to flat out :thumbsup: