HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MindBlower

Street legal, now how to secure?

32 posts in this topic

Sure wish they put key starts on all the ds kits. ANyone put a hidden toggle switch or something that disables starting?

A hidden switch is good. So is a disc lock, a padlock through the sprocket, a heavy chain through a solid object, being in a locked garage, and a pitbull with AIDS.

Try not to leave it alone.

There's a guy on Ebay who sells ignition switches for Rs. It's an OEM ignition switch which he mounts in an aluminum bracket. The bracket mounts to the tabs on the back of the right radiator. I had to trim the bracket a little for clearence with my IMS tank but no biggie.

I'm happy. It's not very visible and would be easily defeatable if you knew how it hooks up, but it does add an additional layer of security. When I'm just running into the convienence store for 3 minutes it's a pain to use my disk lock.

I've found my disk lock secures nicely around my cross-bar pad. That's the only place on the bike I could find for carrying it around.

For extended parks I've got one of those Kryptonite chains (but it's heavy and a pain to carry around).

still doesnt stop some ones from picking up the bike and throwing on the back of a truck, just takes one strong guy to do this

I saw those on ebay too, for now I am installing a toggle wired into the kill switch so it can't be started with just a boot. I also use a disc lock front and rear, and a big ass cable if Im going to be away from it for any ammount of time, of course the cable locks it to another bike or immovable object. I also have an alarm but until I re-do my wire harness and add a battery that wont do my any good!

still doesnt stop some ones from picking up the bike and throwing on the back of a truck, just takes one strong guy to do this

Neither does a cable or disk lock. All cuttable. You can't stop the pros. Just want to discourage the "opportunity thefts".

And it would take one STRONG!! MF'er to load a pig by himself. I'm 240 and work out regularly hoisting pretty good weight, and I sure couldn't do it. I bet that pic of that big racer hoisting one years back had no fluids in it. :thumbsup:

Neither does a cable or disk lock. All cuttable. You can't stop the pros. Just want to discourage the "opportunity thefts".

And it would take one STRONG!! MF'er to load a pig by himself. I'm 240 and work out regularly hoisting pretty good weight, and I sure couldn't do it. I bet that pic of that big racer hoisting one years back had no fluids in it. :thumbsup:

I can load mine into a truck by myself as long as I have a ramp :thumbsup: I keep a little aluminum single wheel width ramp for exactly that.

I can load mine into a truck by myself as long as I have a ramp :bonk: I keep a little aluminum single wheel width ramp for exactly that.

Yikes! Good point. :thumbsup:

Read about a ring in Cali(?) that ran around in a quad cab pickup and 4 guys would jump out, hoist the bike into the back and be gone. All in about 15 seconds. Several owners SAW it happening from inside buildings and couldn't get out quick enough to do anything about it. Bastages. :thumbsup:

I remember that pic of Scott Summers curling his 650...they should make it an event in the Worlds Strong Man competition. Magnus Magnassun!

Yikes! Good point. :thumbsup:

Read about a ring in Cali(?) that ran around in a quad cab pickup and 4 guys would jump out, hoist the bike into the back and be gone. All in about 15 seconds. Several owners SAW it happening from inside buildings and couldn't get out quick enough to do anything about it. Bastages. :thumbsup:

That would never happend where I live. I may not be able to get out of the house quick enough, but if I can see the theifs, I can hit them. Not a quad cab pickup made that can outrun my theft deterrent system.

RFA2-LPC.jpg

That would never happend where I live. I may not be able to get out of the house quick enough, but if I can see the theifs, I can hit them. Not a quad cab pickup made that can outrun my theft deterrent system.

RFA2-LPC.jpg

Guessing that's why they targeted business situations and not residences.

Though you really have that loaded and sitting by the front window? 15 seconds isn't very long.. :thumbsup:

Though you really have that loaded and sitting by the front window? 15 seconds isn't very long.. :thumbsup:

I could get to my loaded 45 and push off about 2 aimed clips (15 rounds) in 15 seconds. Or my sks and do 30 in about 15 seconds.....kinda hard to run and shoot that thing though. Or hell, might as well load up the cannon with some buck shot......might do a lil damage to the bike with that though.

The guy off ebay with key switches has a quality produuct. well worth it. I got the key switch/speedometer combo and like it. I live in a smaller town (3000), so that is about all i need. And i the longest i leave it is during school and they have camaera's so i am not to worried.

The guy off ebay with key switches has a quality produuct. well worth it. I got the key switch/speedometer combo and like it. I live in a smaller town (3000), so that is about all i need. And i the longest i leave it is during school and they have camaera's so i am not to worried.

He has a key/speedo combo? What kind of speedo?

That was going to be my next question! (speedo)

i have disc locks with on all my bikes. the way they are designed you can't cut them off easily like a chain. that alone probably won't stop someone but at least it makes it hard to drag the bike around. always have multiple layers of security so hopefully they will think your bike is to much of a pain to steal and go next door and take the bike with no locks on it

This is all good info. To clarify "my" situation, always garaged, only time it would sit would be while I ran into a grocery or other such errand type situations. Never overnight or for even an hour anywhere outside. If I do ride it to work I'll take it inside the building.

The disk locks sound nice but I've read multiple reports of guys FORGETTING they put them on and driving off..........or tryin to. :thumbsup:

Had a cop ask me why I had my 12 gauge on my trucks hood when they arrived to investigate a car theft next door, I replied "to take out their tires if they try and come back", he replied; "do you really think you can hit the tires of a moving car?" I of course replied that the tires on a car are about 8 times the size of a clay pigeon and moving at half the speed on their way out of the lot, and I'm pretty good at skeet/trap shooting :thumbsup:

I live in rural AZ, along the San Pedro river just N. of the mex border. The San Pedro is called "the 101", as it's the most widely used route into the US. I have constant encounters with UDA's (undocumented aliens). Near daily. I've had my livestock killed by 'em (in fact just last week they butchered my daughter's pet goat on the back half of my property), my pump house busted, and my fences cut. And I've had them attempt to get in my yard, but they've never got past that.

Consequently, when home, I have a loaded gun at every door and window of the house. Generally 4 or 5 or so laying around. I also have spare mags and clips throught the house and stashed at various points around my property.

To get to my bikes, the dipshit would have to go through a locked cattle gate or over a barbwire fence, down my driveway (200 yds) which I have a straight view on from the house. They would then have to go through a locked pedestrian gate, or over a 7 foot field fence topped with an electric wire, through my yard, past 4 large dogs, around the house to my shed, get through the lock on the shed, through the chain on the bikes, then get the bike back out through all of that. Yah, I'd have time to shoot them.

I live in rural AZ, along the San Pedro river just N. of the mex border. The San Pedro is called "the 101", as it's the most widely used route into the US. I have constant encounters with UDA's (undocumented aliens). Near daily. I've had my livestock killed by 'em (in fact just last week they butchered my daughter's pet goat on the back half of my property), my pump house busted, and my fences cut. And I've had them attempt to get in my yard, but they've never got past that.

Consequently, when home, I have a loaded gun at every door and window of the house. Generally 4 or 5 or so laying around. I also have spare mags and clips throught the house and stashed at various points around my property.

To get to my bikes, the dipshit would have to go through a locked cattle gate or over a barbwire fence, down my driveway (200 yds) which I have a straight view on from the house. They would then have to go through a locked pedestrian gate, or over a 7 foot field fence topped with an electric wire, through my yard, past 4 large dogs, around the house to my shed, get through the lock on the shed, through the chain on the bikes, then get the bike back out through all of that. Yah, I'd have time to shoot them.

You really keep 4 or 5 loaded weapons "laying around" at every door & window with a child in the house? To each his own I guess.