HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
broncomoto

Oil Filter Allen Screw

7 posts in this topic

No trick, just don't over tighten it. It doens't need to be gorrilla tight, just snug plus about 1/4 turn. Hope this helps.

Josh

Actually, there is a trick: Ignore the manual. At least, ignore the part about using the oil filter Allen bolt as a drain for the oil filter well. Doing this runs metal chips from around the filter through the threads in that hole, and those chips then wear and damage them. The trick is to just remove the cover and dump the oil out that way, so that as little as possible will run down through the threads.

Thanks.

The first time I drained the oil and changed the filter (I do this after I ride for an hour or so) the screw was resisting, so I was pissed. I'm hopeful that even with the frequency I change the oil (from lessons learned) I'm not helicoiling my new steed anytime soon.

Anyone else want to weigh in? Scott's oil filters - discuss.

Mine was stripped when I bought the bike used. I got a new one and thankfully the cases weren't boogered up. I just gently snug it up now. I follow grays advice and always change out the filter, never use that bolt just to drain oil.

Actually, there is a trick: Ignore the manual. At least, ignore the part about using the oil filter Allen bolt as a drain for the oil filter well. Doing this runs metal chips from around the filter through the threads in that hole, and those chips then wear and damage them. The trick is to just remove the cover and dump the oil out that way, so that as little as possible will run down through the threads.

I stand corrected!! I never thought of it this way, probably because I always felt that it was too easy to change/clean the filter not to do it along with every oil change. This makes sense though, Thanks grayracer.

Josh