HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CampCounty4Fifty

2000 model YZ 426

28 posts in this topic

interested in purchasing one - based on local add, looks good, but -

what are the pros & cons with this bike ??? :thumbsup:

End use would be a woods bike, trail riding, occassional hill to climb.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Do a search man and you'll find that the YZ426 is the best all around dirt or trail motorcycle ever made. :thumbsup:

Of course I'm not even a little bit biased. :thumbsup:

2000 was good but 2001 and 2002 were a bit better.

Brakes

Carb

exhaust

were all improved on the newer years

Well, yes, but if you are getting a real good deal on the 00, is it that big a difference...Aftermarket can fix most of that anyway.

I'm happy w/ mine and it has all the power/performance I need...I am not exceptionally crazy though...anymore.

But it really comes down to what you want...just like everything.

interested in purchasing one - based on local add, looks good, but -

what are the pros & cons with this bike ??? :thumbsup:

End use would be a woods bike, trail riding, occassional hill to climb.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Everything you mention above as an End use is a pro. Only con I can think of is a little extra weight - About 11lbs heavier from a new 450 and the front-end can be prone to push a little. Not real noticeable if you are a bigger rider. Front suspension mods and good front tire will correct this. Other than that, Honda XR reliability & a super stable bike at high speeds on almost any terrain, makes a great woods bike with a few mods + You can still hang it out on the MX Track.

I miss my 00 426, I wish I still had it. You will love the bike, get it and don't give it a second thought. Then do the 450 cam mod, BK mod, and get it setup for your style of riding and enjoy! I used my 426 as a woods bike and loved it to death!

The only problems I've ever had with my '02 is valve wear.....never, never, never use a K&N airfilter! :thumbsup:

Otherwise it'll be the best bike you'll ever own. :thumbsup:

The only problems I've ever had with my '02 is valve wear.....never, never, never use a K&N airfilter! :thumbsup:

Otherwise it'll be the best bike you'll ever own. :thumbsup:

I think you might be the only person I've heard complain about K&N...I'm interested to hear more...what's going on? I was going to purchase one Friday after I got my paycheck

As it came, the '00 426 was an extremely reliable and versatile bike. There are a couple of things you should know, however.

> The balancer drive gear is located on the crank by a square key, rather than splined as the '01 and later models are. This key can loosen and if left to rattle around, will result in a damaged crank. It's not hard or expensive to fix if you don't let it go too long, though.

> The clutch was a little grabby and drags some. Fixable by rebuilding the clutch with plates, etc., from an '01 (search for the '01 426 clutch fix)

> As delivered, they weren't jetted real well, and to say that a good exhaust system and proper jetting will wake one of these up is an understatement.

> The later rods were stronger. Rod failures in the early 426 were by no means at all common, but they were not unheard of, either.

> There have been several issues with worn 3rd and 4th (sometimes 5th) gears wearing to the point that they will pop in and out of gear under a load.

The clutch and jetting may very well have already been taken care of in the one you are looking at.

On the plus side, the OEM stainless valves in these engines are extraordinarily durable, and the fact that I listed everything I know of that was ever wrong with any of these should not discourage you. The bike is nevertheless very, very solid, and I'm sure it will be one of your all time favorites.

If you are seriously looking at the 426, then you are probably well aware of the starting drill. If you have a problem with the drill or just want to make the bike easier to live with, install a 450 cam which has automatic decompression.

Best mod I have made! Instructions can be found on this site.

The 426 is a great bike!

I think you might be the only person I've heard complain about K&N...I'm interested to hear more...what's going on? I was going to purchase one Friday after I got my paycheck

K&N's are great for your car or truck but don't come close to stopping the fine particles from a dusty trail or track. The fine silt will get through and cause excessive wear to your valves. This is not just my opinion, it is fact.

As it came, the '00 426 was an extremely reliable and versatile bike. There are a couple of things you should know, however.

> The balancer drive gear is located on the crank by a square key, rather than splined as the '01 and later models are. This key can loosen and if left to rattle around, will result in a damaged crank. It's not hard or expensive to fix if you don't let it go too long, though.

> The clutch was a little grabby and drags some. Fixable by rebuilding the clutch with plates, etc., from an '01 (search for the '01 426 clutch fix)

> As delivered, they weren't jetted real well, and to say that a good exhaust system and proper jetting will wake one of these up is an understatement.

> The later rods were stronger. Rod failures in the early 426 were by no means at all common, but they were not unheard of, either.

> There have been several issues with worn 3rd and 4th (sometimes 5th) gears wearing to the point that they will pop in and out of gear under a load.

The clutch and jetting may very well have already been taken care of in the one you are looking at.

On the plus side, the OEM stainless valves in these engines are extraordinarily durable, and the fact that I listed everything I know of that was ever wrong with any of these should not discourage you. The bike is nevertheless very, very solid, and I'm sure it will be one of your all time favorites.

Is it the square key, or the halfmoon (woodruff) key on the other end of the crank? I was told it was the woodruff key ?

I've only had mine 2 weeks and only ridden it twice and I LOVE it, the only complaint I got is it is geared WAAAAAYYYYYY too tall. I just got a 13 countersprocket and a 51 rear and hopefully that will make it better