06 450 Spark Arrestors

Anyone have any input as to what is the best available out there? What is better- screen insert or turbine type? Looking for something that will not kill power output on the bike. Thanks. :thumbsup:

If you have the cash, go for the Thunder Alley. I wanted a TA, but I don't have the dough to pony up, so I'm waiting on the new end cap from Pro Moto Billet- anodized blue conical style, similar to the CRF 250R one shown on the site only blue. The PMB is $125 and should be available very soon.

I have a Dr D system with a removable screen. You can`t tell the difference with the screen in or out. Great Setup!

Wondering about db. What is the claimed db of your system?

Loud pipes kill riding areas!

I have not had it sound tested but the sound is not obnoxious like other systems that I have heard. Dr D might have that Information on their web site.

I too have the DR.D and havent had it tested. But I believe the quiet core is supposed to be at least 98 db. I will try to get it tested and let you know.

I have a Pro Circuit 496 on mine. I changed end caps to open it up a little. It still has a good bark to it, but definitely quieter than stock. Power loss is minimal, if any. It has tapered perforated core, from 2" ID to 1 3/8" ID, no baffles, and a screen type SA. It is longer than stock, but mounts more foreword, so it sticks out an inch less.

I was wanting a quieter pipe and SA without giving up power. I'm very happy with this pipe and highly recommend it to anyone looking for this type of muffler. My (limited) experience/opinion with pipes that have optional quiet cores, is that they were not developed or designed to run quiet. The "quiet core" amounts to little more than a plug, and most suffer considerable power loss (and need re-jetting) with them installed.

My dealer was at an expo recently, and talked to a rep for Leo Vince. He says they claim an increase in performance with their quiet pipe over stock. They would be worth looking at, they sure look nice. Although, FMF has a dyno graph on their website of a Q on a CR450F making more top end power, BUT a 4-5hp loss at ~5000rpm, so... :thumbsup:

It sucks that it's so hard to find any decent info on these pipe. Even with the magazines jumping on the noise issue bandwagon, the only time they test (rarely)quiet pipes is on WR's or CRFX's. They preach "less noise", then only provide info on making a quiet bike louder. :thumbsup:

That Pro Moto Billet one doesnt look to bad. Its says on their site that they have 96db inserts for all of their products. They are a sponsor on this forum, so click on the link and take a look. I may have went that route if they would have been out when I got my bike.

I have a new style PMB endcap on order for my 450, I'll let you know how it works when I get it.

I have a PMB end cap on my bike and does sound nice. I was also check the other day to see if it was SA. Thank goodness for that, but my buddy wasn't so lucky with his CRF450. He got a nice little ticket for that.

I put a Pro Moto Billet on and there is no noticible sound or performance issues. Good looked blue too, lots of positive comments.

I put a PMB endcap on my '06 last week. Seems to work just fine. No noticable sound or performance difference. Plus knowing I won't be getting a $300 ticket...

I just put on a Q2 (on my 06 450) and it was tested at 98 db, stock was 102.5 db which is the loudest of all jap thumpers, crf 450 was at 98 db stock. the Q 2 is much quieter but also feels way more mellow for power. huge loss on mid range power...no torque so i actually have more wheel spin. i couldn't remove that Q2 fast enough, the stock pipe is so much better, just real loud. I need to meet 96 db with a spark arrestor. Does anyone want to buy a Q2?? bad sales pitch...he he

Yeah, I bought Q2 early on and was thoroughly disappointed. Sold it and running stock w/ PMB endcap. Thought the Q2 killed the bikes performance.

I have the PMB also, and i really like! no noticable powerloss or sound issues. Great product!!!!!! :banana::busted::smirk::ride:

for the PMB end cap, are you guys running the SA screen and the silent insert or just the screen? has anyone tryed the silent insert? does it rob power? i need something for racing, so it's got to be 96 db and a SA and no loss in power

I just put on a Q2 (on my 06 450) and it was tested at 98 db, stock was 102.5 db which is the loudest of all jap thumpers, crf 450 was at 98 db stock. the Q 2 is much quieter but also feels way more mellow for power. huge loss on mid range power...no torque so i actually have more wheel spin. i couldn't remove that Q2 fast enough, the stock pipe is so much better, just real loud. I need to meet 96 db with a spark arrestor. Does anyone want to buy a Q2?? bad sales pitch...he he

I just picked up 2003 Y450 with a FMF Q and after reading some of these posts I think mine is for sale too :ride:

I'm running endcap w/ screen sa, no silent insert. From what I've heard, don't know if silent insert will get you to where you need to be db wise, allthough PMB claims 96 db. Some guys early on were saying they never rode their bikes until they put on Q2 as they didn'y want to be disappointed with power loss. If you put something different than Q2 on imo you will see more power. Q2 outlet is quite a bit smaller than stock, so it is certainly going to restrict flow.

FMF Powercore has a removeable spark arrestor screen. Works great and under $300.

I see a lot of guys run the Dr. D. i assume it comes with silent insert 96 db and SA. does anyone have this pipe on their bike?