More On The New Ti Powercore...

Just a little update on the TiPo...the outer portion of the can, though made of titanium, is very thin and creases very easily. I was out at Sand Mountain today and laid the bike over on the right side with no forward motion in soft sand. The weight of the bike caused the side panel to impact the can and put a nice crease in it. This is truly a lightweight track can, so just be aware of this. I'm not really concerned about it affecting performance as the inner core is obviously well protected. It's just cosmetic, but still a little troublesome. Maybe FMF will come out with a thicker aluminum version that's a bit more durable. If they do, and it maintains the same power characteristics, then I'll be getting one of those...SC

The little bolt that holds the spark arrestor/quiet core in the can is a POS and likes to round out ? . Get rid of it and get a hex flange bolt. It's a 5mm X .80-12mm. Just another little tip from your friendly neighborhood TiPo expert ? ...SC

Why would I hit them up for a new muffler? I damaged it by crashing. Granted, they weren't very hard crashes, but they were still wrecks. I'm responsible for what happens, not the pipe. I think I know how they got by with only charging $299 MSRP on the pipe now. The pipe rocks, but like I said, that titanium is THIN!...SC

Titanium exhaust bits always seem to be made super, super thin. Otherwise, I guess, they would cost twice as much!

I reckon you are OK with a crease in your can, better than in the header! I remember you were running a SSteel Power Bomb header and you are right, a Alu can would be nice. Might get one to replace my Q sometime.

BTW, nicely put together original story about the TiPo replacement for your Q.

Thanks for the update.

Colin ?

Titanium exhaust bits always seem to be made super, super thin. Otherwise, I guess, they would cost twice as much!

Um, no. Sorry.

My procircuit is tough as nails and uses relatively thick Ti, and yes, it costs twice as much.

I just rode with the TiPC for the first time. As far as volume, I didn't think it was all that bad. Maybe just a little louder than my uncorked WR pipe with PMB insert. Performance wise, I would say there was a moderate increase in power throughout. My front tire definately did want to come up a bit more but it didn't seem to be the rip-your-arms-off power that some have talked about. My jetting seemed to be very close, maybe a touch lean but not far off at all. The only thing I could do is drill the holes in the side of my airbox, maybe that would help. I'm not saying it wasn't worth it for me, just not quite what I expected. My recommendation is if you have the money and won't miss it too much it is worth it. The TIPC is light and you will get a moderate increase in power. If money is tight however, a PMB insert is a cheaper alternative that really helps the stock pipe.

Matt

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How do you guys feel the jetting went with this TI powercore?

My bike has 48pj 170mj and JD blue at 4th clip now, at 0-100ft elevation..

Runs great, only one litte minor issue.. At 50-60mph cruising (15/50) , when i HIT the throttle, it wonders about what to do before i get 100% power.. Doesnt bog down, only hesitates a little before it screams..

Is this a small main jet, or perhaps a low needle? Spark plug is looking ok..

damn that stinks.

that is one of the reasons i opted for a White brothers e2 pipe...the extruded aluminum can is really thick and strong. I have dumped it in rocks and all manner of jagged crap, and NO DENTS...just a few scratches...that add to its handsome patina. :ride:

How do you guys feel the jetting went with this TI powercore?

My bike has 48pj 170mj and JD blue at 4th clip now, at 0-100ft elevation..

Runs great, only one litte minor issue.. At 50-60mph cruising (15/50) , when i HIT the throttle, it wonders about what to do before i get 100% power.. Doesnt bog down, only hesitates a little before it screams..

Is this a small main jet, or perhaps a low needle? Spark plug is looking ok..

That is pretty much the same as I am running but I have my blue needle at the 3rd clip and I have not experienced what you have mentioned here. Elevation is 0 for me.

I'm running 13/50 and I can pull fourth almost to the top, but eventually have to drop back to 3rd...SC

with the WB e2, and standard gearing, i start in 2nd at the bottom of comp hill, and accelerate in 4th all the way to the top.....never had to downshift to third :ride:

assuming we are talking Comp at dumont.

speaking of which, if you havent tried starting in 2nd, try it....i found that 1st gear spins the paddle too much at the start...wheras 2nd hooks up MUCH better, and pulls harder...

shifting into 3rd about halfway through the bottom Whoops is the hard part, and by the time you are about 1/3 up the hill, its time for 4th...pulling all the way to the top.

• 4 months later...