HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
creeky

Edelbrock on a WR400

7 posts in this topic

I got plain tired of kicking my a** off starting a '00 WR400 that I recently acquired. I have been riding XRs for quite a few years, prided myself on being able to start them easily, even taught some riding buddies how to start their Husaberg and Husky 4 strokes. This WR is the most cantankerous %&*@# I have ever owned. One day, it fires right off cold, starts the 1st kick hot, even starts easily after a crash. Next time out, kick it cold until I'm blue, if I crash, kick it some more until I'm a quivering mass of crap. On Friday, I pulled an old Edelbrock out of the parts cabinet that I had used on two previous XR600s and a 628. This carb worked great on the Hondas, why wouldn't it work on the WR? After some minor fitment modifications to the carb in order to allow the cables to hook up, I pulled the FCR and whatta ya know, the Edelbrock fits in it's place like it belonged there. I figured that the WR would require a slightly leaner needle, so I put in a 17E instead of the 19E. Got everything bolted up, opened the petcock, turned on the fuel enricher, started in two kicks. A 5 mile test ride in the woods revealed that although the bike ran really well, it was a tad lean. I put the 19E needle back in, took another test ride. The bike, although slightly milder off idle, runs every bit as good as it did with the FCR. It starts 1st kick hot, I even laid it on it's side while running, it actually ran for about 10 seconds before stalling, and started second kick after picking it up. I was concerned about the lack of a TPS on the Edelbrock, but apparently it is not an issue. I know this a long-winded post, but I thought some of you WR/YZ owners might be interested.

Barnums Pro Supply in California is a good source for Edelbrocks. I ran into Rob down in baja prerunning for the last 1000 and he was on a WR 400 with an Edelbrock , He said it really gave the bike a wide range circut, and dramaticly improved starting. :thumbsup:

However, I am using a JD Jetkit with the chart we have in the TTforum on my 04 WR 450 and it runs perfect.

i put an edelbrock on my rhino and it was the best upgrade yet, been seriuosly think of outting one on the wr. it totally made the rhinos cold natured starting disappear.

I don't know why so many people have such a hard time starting your WRs.

I think if you tune it correctly you can start on the first kick like I do many times. Even cold, hot, or after dumping it. A few times it will take 2 or 3 kicks, but most starts are done with one kick. Tune that carb. and stop giving the wr a bad rap.

I don't know why so many people have such a hard time starting your WRs.

I think if you tune it correctly you can start on the first kick like I do many times. Even cold, hot, or after dumping it. A few times it will take 2 or 3 kicks, but most starts are done with one kick. Tune that carb. and stop giving the wr a bad rap.

Noone is giving the WR a bad rap, it's a great bike. The FCR is my particular problem. One important feature of the Edelbrock for my use is that rejetting is never needed and if needle adjustment for altitude or temperature differences is necessary, the needle can be adjusted without any disassembly in a couple of minutes.