Fuel tanks again.............

Ready to buy a new fuel tank finally.......... Just unsure which one to get.

I've got an '05 by the way.

Searching and reading heaps of posts lately, seems that IMS have problems with their larger tanks.

Has anyone had any problems with their 3.1 gal tank? Everyone seems to have had problems with the larger version "zip-ty", like fuel lines to close to header (I got a lowboy header so not really a problem), rubs on cam cover, general fit of the tank. Not good at all.

I know the Acerbis 3.3 gal has no adherant problems, that might be the go. Has anyone got any gripes with the Acerbis?

What I am trying to say is I like the look of the IMS tank but is it really that bad??? :thumbsup:

Both the Acerbis and the IMS tanks cost the same here in Australia, a Clark tank is not an option because it is not really an upgrade. Pity, I have read that they are good tanks, my neighbor has one on his 426 as well.

I have the same question. Now that I have the GYT-R AIS removal kit installed, I spent yesterday enjoying the new found horsepower all over the desert. I may not have been 100% full when I started, but I went to reserve at 46 miles and was out of fuel at 61 miles. Definitely need a bigger tank.

I have an IMS on my DRZ and I will not buy another IMS. The fit is very poor and it appears to be cracking around the cap area. I have seem a lot of IMS tanks with really bad bubbles and pock marks all over them. Go to the DRZ forum and do a search.

I see that Yamaha has an oversize tank for the 03-05 YZ450 in their Off Road Accessories catalog (GYT-5TA24-00-RB). It appears to be an Acerbis part. Does anyone know if this will fit a 2006 WR450?

Acerbis here and no gripes other than the fuel hose and fuel "Y" that comes with it. I substituted a 5/16 brass "T" and used 1/4" Tygon fuel line. Works like a freakin' charm. And yes, it will fit the '06 since it's the same bike as the '05, but with a little lipstick and rouge...SC

Thanks, Clark. A few follow-up questions:

- Did you have to change your radiator shrouds, or do stock WR450 shrouds work? I see some conflicting reports here and in the acerbis catalog.

- Where do you get Tygon fuel line? Moto shops or auto parts houses?

- I saw someone post on here about using a heat-resistant sheath over the fuel line on this set-up. Was that you and where do you find that material?

No change to rad. shrouds, Tygon from the local bike shop, no heat shielding, just bolt on and go...SC

I see that Yamaha has an oversize tank for the 03-05 YZ450 in their Off Road Accessories catalog (GYT-5TA24-00-RB). It appears to be an Acerbis part. Does anyone know if this will fit a 2006 WR450?

I just installed the Yamaha tank a couple of weeks ago (GYT-5TA24-00-CL) on my 2005 WR450. It is an Acerbis tank, but I wanted the GYT tank because I was pretty confident it would really fit, and my dealer gives me a nice discount on Yamaha parts. The tank fits great, and I got the natural color (clear) so it's nice to be able to see the fuel level. From the rides I've done, it looks like it will have about 100 mile range.

As there are very few differences between the '05 and '06 WR, this tank should fit the '06 bike as well. Also, on the '05 I was able to use my stock radiator shrouds and saddle, and the saddle post went into the YZ hole, not the WR hole (you'll understand that when you see the tank). The tank also works with my Flatland radiator guards, so everything was a straight bolt on. I ran the fuel crossover line between the carb and the cyl. over the top of the intake boot - that's pretty much a straight shot, and works well. I really like the quality and fit of this tank, and no problems with heat from exhaust.

My kick start did rub on the tank, and when I rotated it back a spline it then rubbed on the frame so that didn't work. I cut a piece of thin rubber tubing to fit over the kick starter that was slightly longer than the kick start...I just slipped it over the lever and zip tied it and now the end of the tubing rubs on the tank rather than the kickstarter. From my experience with IMS tanks on other bikes, the GYT (Acerbis) is the way to go...I especially like the machined aluminum fuel filler on the Acerbis...nice touch, and much better than the plastic threads on the IMS.

Nice, thanks guys. Acerbis tank it is!

Thumpertalk store out till middle of march.......... :thumbsup:

Thumpertalk store cheaper by $150 Australian :bonk::thumbsup:

Im selling the IMS (Ithink its an IMS?) on my bike if anyone is interested, Im selling it just cause I want to buy a black one to match the bikes look. I can go almost 200 miles on this tank. Check my garage for pictures. PM me if you are interested!!! its off a 99wr400 w/yz seat set up

Nice, thanks guys. Acerbis tank it is!

Thumpertalk store out till middle of march.......... :bonk:

Thumpertalk store cheaper by $150 Australian :bonk::thumbsup:

Hey Mat,

Do you think the Acerbis tank will fit with the B&B radiator gaurds :thumbsup:

Matty05,

I have the Acerbis tank on 2006 WR that I took off my 2003 WR. It has 3,500-4,000 miles (5,800-6,800 KM) of mountains and desert, both in the USA and Mexico. My only comments about the Acerbis tank are "it fits perfectly, top quality workmanship, is as narrow as stock tank, has

right-side petcock mounted away from the header pipe, easy access to choke, accepts WR seat 2003 models and newer and for 2005 models and newer, WR radiator shrouds."

My observations about IMS tanks, "fat, hang down too low, old models didn't have right side petcock, don't know about radiator shroud and seat compatibility.

The experience of a friend, IMS tank right-side fitting is too close to the header pipe. He watched his 2005 burn to the ground. Others on this forum have reported similiar experiences. I recall seeing some very graphic photos, several years ago, of a burned WR in a mountain setting on this forum --- IMS tank fire.

Easy choice --- Acerbis.

Baja fool, thanks for slaming my tank after I tell eveyone its for sale :bonk::bonk::bonk: . My fuel line is at least 6 inches from my tank??? What kind of header are you running??? Just kiddin. I like mine and the weight being lower is better in my opinion. No roblems here with my IMS. :thumbsup::thumbsup: