how hot is too hot

Hey guys what's up? I've always been worried about my 2000 650L (fairly stock, 4.5 gal tank, no smog crap) running too hot so I just recently ordered a xr's only temp gauge so I can have something to chew my nails over. I know the gauge goes from 0 to 350 degrees, but at what point do I need to pull over and cool off? I'm on my way to a week long Baja trip (probably the longest trip I'll have ridden on the beast) and don't feel like melting my bike in the middle of nowhere. Dig? Also thinking about running synthetic oil which I've never done. Am I fool? THANKS!

It says in the directions what temp it should run at and when its overheating....just wait till it gets there.

It says in the directions what temp it should run at and when its overheating....just wait till it gets there.

Another ultra-informative post by wr450fyamaha. :thumbsup:

conventional oils start breaking down by 300 F, and I think several posts in here indicated running temps of around 225 as being normal ... ( that temp is for an 'L' that has been de-smogged, and rejetted )... makes a BIG difference with your engine temps ..

225 huh? Interesting. Also, sounds like synthetic is the way to go. I don't know why I haven't used it. It does seem like my frequent oil changes aren't frequent enough, judging by how burnt it looks in such a short amount of miles.

I dont run a thermometer dipstick, I figure knowing the temp isnt gonna make any difference to me, I'm gonna run it till it breaks, anyway .. :thumbsup: ... hey, it's a HONDA :thumbsup: ..... but, I have seen posts where riders were running them all day long, hard, hot running, that took the engine to 275-285 all day long, with no problems ... synthetic is definitely warranted, avoid the ones that have the seal claiming 'energy-conserving' ... those have moly, which "may" cause clutch slippage ... :bonk:

Go for the synthetic oil for sure. I only here good things about it, lower temps, longer oil life, ect. I am going to be running amsoil full synthetic motorcycle blend in my 650r. From indepentant tests it is proven to be the best or one of the best. Check it out. maybe its not worth $6-$8 a quart.

Does anyone know how hot a xr650r runs? Theroretically they should run cooler or stay at a constant temp right?

When I first got my bike I overheard someone talking about synthetics and clutch slip so I immediately closed the book on it. I figured they meant all synthetic oils. Also, the more I am looking into past TT forums the more I wonder if my uni filter in combination with a stock exhaust (forgot to mention that) creates any dangerous heat gain. I thought I was just buying a cheaper, reusable filter. Now some of the forums I'm reading make it sound like if you put in a $20 foam filter you have to put a jet kit in it. If you put a jet kit in it then you'll need a aftermarket exhaust. If you get a new exhaust then you need to move to the rockies cause your bike runs like sht at sea level. You get what I'm saying. Should I just get a stock airfilter and eat my buddies' dust all the way to Cabo and back? Did I mention I'm poor and the above mods aren't an option? (at least the exhaust part, and to hell with the rockies) :thumbsup:

I've done the mods, UNI air filter, 58/160 jets, shimmed needle, fuel screw 2 1/2 turns, drilled slide, smog/snorkel gone, 7 discs on a White E Series at 3800 feet elevation. I run at 200-220 dipstick temp normally with Honda oil. I think I like the synthetic approach which will be my next oil change.

Anyway when I'm really running hard I'll push the temp up to 250. With the mods you'll run a lot cooler. As I'm sure you know the engine is very lean from the factory. By the way to get it running right you really need to do all the mods. The engine is like an air pump and all the "steps" need to be in sink. The biggest expense for me was the aftermarket, tunable, exhaust, the rest was way cheap.

Just remember that the dipstick guage is good for telling you overall if the oil is running hotter/colder, but its not measuring how hot the oil in the engine is.

Figure its reading 10-25 deg. F 'cold', at least.

Dave

Just put wr450fyamaha on your blocked list. I never see his BS unless one of you guys copy his post and put it in your post. :thumbsup:

When I first got my bike I overheard someone talking about synthetics and clutch slip so I immediately closed the book on it. I figured they meant all synthetic oils. Also, the more I am looking into past TT forums the more I wonder if my uni filter in combination with a stock exhaust (forgot to mention that) creates any dangerous heat gain. I thought I was just buying a cheaper, reusable filter. Now some of the forums I'm reading make it sound like if you put in a $20 foam filter you have to put a jet kit in it. If you put a jet kit in it then you'll need a aftermarket exhaust. If you get a new exhaust then you need to move to the rockies cause your bike runs like sht at sea level. You get what I'm saying. Should I just get a stock airfilter and eat my buddies' dust all the way to Cabo and back? Did I mention I'm poor and the above mods aren't an option? (at least the exhaust part, and to hell with the rockies) :thumbsup:

Do the carb mod. I'm am poor as well, but $10.00 for two jets is well worth the money.

Right on.This bikes come too lean from factory wich means the motor will run hotter.Just rejet and get a good filter,you can do without the pipes.Good luck

at what point do I need to pull over and cool off? I'm on my way to a week long Baja trip (probably the longest trip I'll have ridden on the beast) and don't feel like melting my bike in the middle of nowhere. Dig? Also thinking about running synthetic oil which I've never done. Am I fool? THANKS!

Last time I was in old Mehico, I got a t-shirt that pretty well summed up that question:

"When it's upside down and in flames"