Metal on oil filter (pic)

Doesn't look to bad bro. I have and 00 and it looked that way when I bought it but yours is slightly browner? or? I think it looks like pieces of the clutch disk, since on our bikes the oil and tranny share the oil. How does the clutch work and feel? Spongy, long engagement or quick and tight? Next time you change the filter see if you have the same flecks, if you do it might be time for new clutches and maybe even the basket. Get yourself a metallic drain plug and check if you get any metal shavings built up on it. It can be the cheapest engine diagnostic.

Happy trails

I just changed out the oil filter and found this (see pic).

Is this indicative of a potential problem? I got the bike used and have ridden it 4 times and it has run great each time.

Your input is appreciated.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1266/4359743/9202127/130697474.jpg

It'll be alright. Did you change the oil and change the filter when you bought it? If not it probably has more than 4 rides on it.

78SHARPSHOOTER,

The reason I asked if it was modded because from that picture it doesn't look like metal. Did you put a bolt on heavy fly wheel weight? ? You should probably remove the ignition cover because it looks like pieces of your stator assy. is coming off and getting into your oil. You will need a fly wheel puller (also a air or electric impact gun) to pull off the fly wheel to look at your stator. Thats where I would start. It should take you like 10 mins with the proper tools, very easy. ?

I took a magnet to the debris on the filter and the majority of it stuck. see pic

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1266/4359743/9202127/130735866.jpg

The debris is not that large. see pic below.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1266/4359743/9202127/130735868.jpg

I am going to take it for a ride today and was thinking I should maybe lay it on its side and pull the filter again. Or should I get the magnetic drain plug first?

Mine too, I wouldn't worry about it. I have the same feeling in my clutch as well, 78sharpshooter.

Get the magnetic drain plug and it will bild up there this will give you slightly improved oil flow. I would change the filter after 2 rides and check it again, but even if the debris persists I wouldn't worry much about it (but take a couple more pics and let me see).

Well with that much stuff through the system, you would not want one of those pieces to get caught in a oil passage hole for the cam. Instant problem!

You want your oil clean. Those with the steel frames, need to make sure the screen at the bottom of the frame down tube is also cleaned regularly.

The filter is working, what a shocker. I wouldnt woory about that. When was the last time the filter was looked at prior to your oil change? Ride it a couple times and pull it again, i would bet there is going to be alot less than that in it.

Well with that much stuff through the system, you would not want one of those pieces to get caught in a oil passage hole for the cam. Instant problem!

You want your oil clean. Those with the steel frames, need to make sure the screen at the bottom of the frame down tube is also cleaned regularly.

Damn it....ive been trolling through the yz threads looking for that last bit of usefull info before i reassemble my baby and sure as $hit i found it.....i was unaware that there was a screen on the oil line coming out of my frame.....I just took it off and Bam a huge mess of shavings and chunks came out from when the motor went.....Thankyou ? thankyou :bonk: thankyou :bonk: thankyou :bonk: thankyou :eek: thankyou :eek: thankyou ? thank you,,,,this thread probably just saved me a whole lot of :eek: frustration :eek: and :bonk: sweet mula ? . You guys are the shit :bonk:

wow totp too my lucky day