New YZ 426 and wondering what are the best upgrades

I just bought a 2000 YZ 426f and I am wondering what to upgrade on it. I like the suspension the most, the bike I got had a local comp. Enzo suspension do the work and this thing is fri**in rad through the woops. I love the power curve, it's a major step up from the CR 250 that I had a few years ago. Hill climbing is amazing with the thumper, I don't know why I ever took a break. But back to the question at hand. The previous owner was a mechanic of some sort and took really good care of the bike.

He installed: fat bars, ims pegs, works upper perch, applied tripple, black excel rims, iron man sprokets front and rear and a regina chain, barnet bilet, hinson clutch, and a White bros e-series pipe.

I've been reading in the forums some other peoples advice and one of which was to upgrade the front brake. I totally agree since the front brake feels like it is either off or on and to get it to stop you have to rip the 'you know what' out of the lever. So what year front brake line and master do I need? These are the kinds of questions that I have, because I am quite mechanical since my pops owned a machine shop for 23 years and I picked up a lot. I'm just getting back into MX from the street, and am completely unaware of what is available and what to do. Any assistance and input would be greatly appreciated.

I recently went through changing filters and changing fluids: air filter, oil filter and oil, the brake fluids; coating the rubber lines with silicone, and a few other minor things. Are there any other things that I need to be concerned with or look at?

I heard from one persons post to upgrade to the 03 450 exhaust cam 'mod'; what do I need, simply the exhaust cam from that year 450? Also, what does t-venting the carb mean, and how is this done? What else am I missing? You tell me!!

Thanks fellas, and ladies(if you're out there)

T

450 cam mod is the best bang for your buck, hands down. All you need an an 03 YZ 450 exhaust cam and probably some shims once you get it in. It's an easy swap, and if you need help I can point you to a post I wrote that covers basically all the steps.

Front brake- get a Honda CRF master cylinder and an SS CR-style hose, it makes a world of difference in the brake action.

Clutch- do the 01 clutch update if it hasn't already been done, may be unnecessary with your current mods though.

T-venting- I'll try and dig up my pics on this mod, basically you need two small T fittings (vacuum line fitting from any auto parts store) and 6' of tubing. Cut the new tubing in half, cut each of the top carb vent lines and install the T fitting with the leg pointing toward the rear tire, and run the new tubing to the airbox- eliminates dying in water crossings (wet feet suck!)

Other than that, it's basically all personal preference. I recommend some good radiator braces for insurance, magnetic drain plug, and an easy adjust fuel screw. Other than that, enjoy the new ride and don't be afraid to ask questions. Oh, and welcome to TT!

Yea, I would appreciate direction to the thread and if you could find thouse pics on the T-venting mod, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Like you thought I don't find any problem with the clutch at all. It pulls smooth and engages fast, I lubed the cable the other day and that made a huge difference. The only thing that I noticed is that when at idle and ingage into first gear the bike stalls out. My remedy is to rev her up a bit. The former owner told me it had done that all along, but upon further research I came across a few carburetor upgrades that eliminate this from hapening.

I love the bike it runs strong and handles great. In the future I would like a bit more power. I want it to scare me a bit like a 1000 cc street bike. What do you think about the big bore 444cc kit from Weisco. I got a magnetic drain plug and whats with the radiator braces and easy fuel adjustment screw?

What difference do you feel with the 03 exhaust cam mod? Is it really worth all the hype or is it just something to do? I only ask because my bike runs really well right now and I'm not sure if it is something that has been tested?? or am I wrong? Also, if I do decide to do the mod, do I use a comp cam or just a stoker? Tell me what you think and describe how the bike feel post mod.

Thanks for the input guys ??

It is usually a one kick wonder but sometimes needs a second kick. I don't have any problems starting it when its warm what-so-ever. But I want more power... I was hitting a jump yesterday and it had a limited a run at it. I was banging gears and WFO and still just couldn't get the speed that I wanted in a run to hit it.

Any other mods that will kick up the hp and torque that will give me what I want. I am not a huge jumper but I do like to jump and climb hills. Also the power in a straight away is a little lax, when I wanna do a 5th gear pinned run. Not to say it is slow but I had a street bike before.

Thanks guys, you kick a**!!

??

It is usually a one kick wonder but sometimes needs a second kick. I don't have any problems starting it when its warm what-so-ever. But I want more power... I was hitting a jump yesterday and it had a limited a run at it. I was banging gears and WFO and still just couldn't get the speed that I wanted in a run to hit it.

Any other mods that will kick up the hp and torque that will give me what I want. I am not a huge jumper but I do like to jump and climb hills. Also the power in a straight away is a little lax, when I wanna do a 5th gear pinned run. Not to say it is slow but I had a street bike before.

Thanks guys, you kick a**!!

?:bonk:

Ah, you had me there for a while.

First the front brakes weren't enough, and now WFO through the gears and you can't clear a jump? I mean, you should be able to clear just about any Supercross type jump in second, maybe third.

And ummm...5th gear pinned? Let me guess, when you're driving it up into the truck?

Either someone has put a sock in your carburetor and taken your brake pads or this thread is getting a little too suspicious for me. ?

So you're trying to compare a 350 to 400 lb street bike with probably at least 150 hp to a 250 lb bike with only 50 hp? That means the street bike would be making around double the hp per pound, they aren't going to "feel' the same... the street bike would easily run single digits in the 1/4 mile with the correct setup/rider, while the 426 would be doing good to be in the 12's with a good setup/rider. ?

-J

You find me a 426 that can ride a 12 sec mile and I will shit gold!! I never said I couldnt clear a jump in 2nd 3rd of 4th BUT that its not enough power for me wide open. Sorry I dont putt my bike around like you old farts and power is not something to be compared between the two machines, I know. 150 hp street bike isn't something easily achieved unless you got a straight linen busa but thanks for your 1/2 cent wise guy.... next time ride your suped up tricycle into the front of your truck! ?

Sorry for asking s**t head!

Thanks coybowona426

You find me a 426 that can ride a 12 sec mile and I will shit gold!! I never said I couldnt clear a jump in 2nd 3rd of 4th BUT that its not enough power for me wide open. Sorry I dont putt my bike around like you old farts and power is not something to be compared between the two machines, I know. 150 hp street bike isn't something easily achieved unless you got a straight linen busa but thanks for your 1/2 cent wise guy.... next time ride your suped up tricycle into the front of your truck! ?

Thanks coybowona426

My wr pulled sub 14's stock. You better start shittin boy, may be you could finally buy your pipe DORK!

Thanks coybowona426

This just shows your ignorance even more... it would be NO extraordinary event if a YZ426F ran a 12, neither would it be to have a 1000cc street bike (like a GSX-R1000) that puts down more than 150 hp. I don't think you know as much about bikes as you'd like to claim or act like...

-J

I understand what you say, until last year i was a roadracer , and uses GSXR-750 and 1000 with a lot of mods, so i understand what is horsepower my 750 having 140hp and the 1000 175hp . So my recomandation will be 1st a Thunder Alley exhaust pipe with a Quick shot from Boyesen. It will gain a lot of snap and pull more every where. But remember that you play with 47hp, so 2-3hp will have an effect, but it won't change it into a 1000 GSXR.

http://www.thunder-alley.net/

http://www.boyesen.com/article/articleview/99/1/26