Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Missile

Pilot Air Screw Tool

8 posts in this topic

I could imagine finding a short enough screwdriver to do the job...so I made one... from an interchangeable screwdriver bit epoxied to a short piece of metal to create a T. Works like a charm.

Still may get one of those Kouba thangs though...

------------------

The Missile

'99 WR400F

Airbox Lid - gone

Throttle Stop - shorty!

Plastics/Tank/Seat - One Industries

Street Legal

Missle, quit thinking and get one. Kouba rocks! Best $16 ever spent on this bike. You can even reach down and adjust it while sitting in the bike!

------------------

Rick Fuller

'01 yz426

'00 yz426 destroyed by fire in desert race 4/22/01

'81 490 Maico

This was posted on DRN some time ago.

Fire!

It didn't have to happen. I made some mistakes. I learned some things. I lost a $10,000+ bike. I am not hurt.

I was in a 100 mile desert race in Winnemucca, NV on 4/22/01. My third race ever. Just out of the pits, starting the second 50 mile loop I missed a turn. Heading back to the course, I came to the edge of a small ravine. I stopped, looked into the ravine and saw that it was filled with tumbleweeds. Having no experience with tumbleweeds I tried to ride through the ravine. The weeds were about 4 feet deep, and packed tight. I got stuck, and no amount of revving, clutching, and pushing would even move the bike. Suddenly there were small flames, right under my header pipe. I dropped the bike and tried to put the flames out with my hands. For about 2 seconds, I thought I had them out. Then POOF, they flared up again. About that time I realized that I was laying on a full oversized tank of gas, trying to put out a fire with my hands. Dumb. My brain said run, but I could only manage to crawl/swim through the dense tumbleweeds about 15 feet away, due to exhaustion. I rested for a few minutes, then realized I was not far enough away. I managed to get out of the ravine, and walked away. I couldn't bear to watch my bike burn. And burn it did, in a big way.

When I went back later to get the remains, two of us easily picked it up and "tossed" it into the back of a truck. I'll bet it didn't even weigh 125 lbs. Needless to say, there was nothing salvageable. I left the hulk with the guy who helped me recover it.

The fire burned up and down the ravine, about 200 feet, and went out. Thank God.

I had no injuries, only some singed hair on my face. Eyelashes, eyebrow, and mustache. Very lucky.

Did I have insurance? No. I hadn't gotten around to it. My only real concern was theft, which I thought I could prevent.

I think this is a very serious issue for four-stroke riders. The header can reach temp's near 800 degrees. I frequently smell burning brush while riding.

In hindsight, I could have prevented this. I should have shut off my bike, and cleared a path out of the weeds. Ahhh, hindsight

------------------

Pics to follow, if I can figure it out.

------------------

Rick Fuller

'01 yz426

'81 490 Maico

Rick-

What is this tool you are referring to and where can I get one? I have such a hard time adjusting the air screw a twenty spot would be money well spent!! I can only imagine how much swearing that tool would eliminate from my vocabulary!!

thanks

------------------

Bob from Aliso Viejo

2001 WR426

www.koubalink.com

Tell'em ThumperTalk sent you.

Bill

------------------

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards , Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, de-octopussed (Thanks Clark) EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ, 100PAJ and 65 SJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

Thanks Bill

------------------

Rick Fuller

'01 yz426

'81 490 Maico