Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skyriver

Pipe touching/rubbing radiator

10 posts in this topic

I think I have a problem. Not now, but surely later. My Hi-Flo headers (previous owner install) touch the bottom of the right radiator. :thumbsup: Looks like the pipe is winning the battle. Will this put a hole in my radiator? It looks like it's just a matter of time before the thing springs a leak. Anyone else have this trouble? Any ideas on what to do? I know a lot of guys on 650Rs are running FMF Hi-Flo just like mine.

Thanks

You could remove the pipe, heat it with a torch and dent it in just a bit with a hammer. Sounds like it only needs to go in a smidge.

Hey,

The Pig's radiators are not very rigid on the mounts. I would try to see if I could push/bend the radiator forward a bit (it sounds like it's been bent back a tad). Don't force and break anything, but the mounts are thing aluminum and can be bent easily.

Worse case scenario, elongate the mount hole(s) so that the radiators can be moved forward a bit on the mounts then retighten.

DON'T go hammering on your header.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll look into the radiator possibly being bent back 1st. Doesn't look like it, but it may be just the slightest. I wondered about heating the pipe and bending, but that sounds like more work than possibly re-positioning the rad. I'll give an update when I figure it out. Don't want to ride all summer like it is now. I'll just be asking for trouble.

Thanks,

Heat it and Hit it with a hammer??? Bend the radiator ??? What about getting a pipe that fits right to begin with? Do you other guys really work on your bikes this way?

I have had a stainless XR's header for several years. Installed it the first time with no silicone, torqued it down and forgot about it because it fit well, ran great and never leaked. Recently for a few "quiet" races I removed it and installed an FMF Power Bomb /Q2 combo. Quiet yes. Horsepower no. The header does not fit nearly as well as the XR's. It isn't square coming around the front of the frame and is MUCH closer to the bottom of the radiator. The bend in the tubing in clearly not in the proper location. The aluminum flanges holding it to the head are a joke. I could never reach the factory torque spec since they bent all the way to the head and I stopped for fear of breaking them off. The steel ones on the XR's header never bent.

I can't wait to get the FMF piece of ---- off my bike. You will find it on Ebay soon.

What about getting a pipe that fits right to begin with? Do you other guys really work on your bikes this way?

As I stated..... This was from the previous owner. Besides the tight fit, the FMF stuff works great on my bike so I'm not looking to spend a ton of $$ on stainless headers, although I'm sure they're very nice, when a little tweek might do the job. And, also stated earlier, the rad may have been bent by the previous owner.... I've only layed it down on the left. :thumbsup:

1Hondalover, relax man. It'll be okay. :thumbsup:

Just keep in mind that anytime you remove your header pipe to do work you must replace the copper exhaust gaskets between the head and header.

I think you can probably loosen the header and muffler clamps and push the header into the correct position then tighten everything back up....Might be able to adjust the radiator a little too...