XR650r Stock Air Cleaner ??? Junk the K&N?

I bought my xr650r and it has a k&n filter. I ride 50%on road and the off-road i do ride is not extremly dusty. Will a properly oiled k&n perform well enough in these not so bad conditions?

Also if i do get the stock filter, what else do i need? Is there some kind of screen or something? Where can i buy the stock filter and what ever else i need? Thanks.

First of all, let me say how envious I am that you have a plated 650R. I have read all the sagas regarding plating of these bikes, and it leaves me with a feeling of dread at the thought of trying to get mine through. That said, I think you would be about the same whether or not you keep the K&N or go to a stock-type foam filter. This because although we hear stories about the inferior fine dust filtration of the K&N compared to foam, I think that the sealing edge of a K&N is superior to that of foam. I run a fat bead of grease around the edge of my foam filter and check it often to make sure no dust or sand is getting by. With the K&N, there is a rubber sealing gasket which (combined with the grease) ensures a positive seal. If you do decide to go foam, take a look on Ebay. I was there today, and saw at least five new foam filters for sale. Rocky Mountain ATV is another good source for this type of part.

• Like 1

Get rid of the stock filter(although it is very good at filtering) the airflow vs. aftermarket stinks. UNI IS the BEST filter for the 650R. The fit is top notch, teedering on tight which is what you want. Apply grease to the mating surfaces of the filter and airbox and be done with it.

sandemom , I heard Oregon was easy to tag in, just get the hard parts to pass inspection.

I have seen some wild stuff street legal in OR, worth another look. best of luck..

First of all, let me say how envious I am that you have a plated 650R. I have read all the sagas regarding plating of these bikes, and it leaves me with a feeling of dread at the thought of trying to get mine through. That said, I think you would be about the same whether or not you keep the K&N or go to a stock-type foam filter. This because although we hear stories about the inferior fine dust filtration of the K&N compared to foam, I think that the sealing edge of a K&N is superior to that of foam. I run a fat bead of grease around the edge of my foam filter and check it often to make sure no dust or sand is getting by. With the K&N, there is a rubber sealing gasket which (combined with the grease) ensures a positive seal. If you do decide to go foam, take a look on Ebay. I was there today, and saw at least five new foam filters for sale. Rocky Mountain ATV is another good source for this type of part.

sandemom , I heard Oregon was easy to tag in, just get the hard parts to pass inspection.

I have seen some wild stuff street legal in OR, worth another look. best of luck..

I am actally thinking about it; unfortunately I live in Communist Portland ?

Maybe if I "sell" it to my dad who lives on the coast... ?

Here in Wyoming you could plate your quads for street use too, just need headlight and brake light ?

To the thread starter, K&N sucks, they take in too much dirt, ditch it.

Source? Show me the unbias tests that compare the K&N with the other filters. I put 60,000 miles on a XL250 w/o a rebuild using the same K&N.

• Like 1

Maybe thats cause he wants you to buy a new one instead of converting yours. I'd check with the DMV for the straight answer. Sell it to me dude I'll get it plated for you and give it right back. Only crappy thing you'd have to pay sales tax twice.

Why are the K&N's junk? I have never ran one due to everyone saying they are not good at keeping dust out. Yet both my sandrails had dual K&N's with outerwears and I never had a problem. Lots of offroad trucks and buggies run K&Ns and these motors have a lot more suction than our little 650s. Just curious as to why these are junk?

Xr/CrDave---if u havent seen one (K&N) the whole outside edge of the filter is rubber. the actual filter element is a rectange in the middle if the airbox opening. i dont know if my description makes any sense but the actual filter area is greatly reduced meaning less airflow---i guess.

Source? Show me the unbias tests that compare the K&N with the other filters. I put 60,000 miles on a XL250 w/o a rebuild using the same K&N.

Congrats, but holding one up to a light source and seeing the pin holes was enough for me, not to mention seeing dirt in my trucks airbox when running the K&N. If you oil them enough so they catch all of the dirt, they don't flow that muchbetter than stock.

Well, all I can tell you is my experience with a K&N on my 99' 400EX quad. Ran a K&N for several years w/ an outerwear. Always kept the filter clean and oiled.

I recently rebuilt that engine because of a failed re-ground camshaft. The cylinder showed the telltale scratches caused by dust and other particulates getting sucked into the cylinder. My (very experienced) machinest pointed that out to me. It was pretty clear. He didn't know that I had been running a K&N. Sometime later, I overheard a conversation this machinest had with another customer about K&Ns and he said he can usually tell if a K&N was being used just by looking at the cylinder walls. Keep in mind, we're in the Phoenix metro area. Sometimes we'll have dust storms instead of rain storms.

Now, had the camshaft not failed catastrophically I would have had no idea about the internal wear in my engine. The cylinder wear was not keeping the engine from operating at a (seemingly) normal output. Nonetheless, the cylinder WAS wearing due to particluates being sucked in.

I used K&Ns on my streetbikes for years and would again. I don't frequently ride through clouds of dust on a streetbike. I do frequently ride through clouds of dust on my OHV machines (mostly deserts and The Dunes) so I choose not to use K&Ns in those conditions.

That's been by experience. Take it for what it's worth...