oil problem

xtreme; i've wrenched on everything from mopeds to nuclear subs and i've never assumed that theory of that oil is ok just leave it in :confused: if you can,change it. i run rotella;buy it by the gallon and it costs $2 per change ? if your that broke you shouldn't be riding. i'll send ya a quart of oil changed out after one HS race and you tell me (us) if you'd put it back into your bike as far as changing oil in baja,where is all your gas coming from? if its stashed then stash oil with it. if there are stations they more than likely have oil also ?

ncmountainman- keep your used oil as your right I wont put it in my bike as I'll just continue to leave the current oil in my bike. What sense would that make for me to go through all the TIME of changing my oil only to put your used oil back in.hehelol :bonk: Who ever said anything about being broke? :bonk: I have a brand new bike that I dont get to ride and my official old yz450/now woods bike and I have 2 cases of Klotz synthetic sitting in my garage so again keep your oil. I guess if you call time and broke the same thing then I am time broke as I stated above.lol Where do you supose he put's all of his old oil when he changes it daily and stops for fuel or do you just do what alot do that piss me off ever time I clean up the pits and drain it onto the ground? :bonk:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that there is quite a difference of opinion on oil change intervals.

I ran across this on the web and found it interesting to our discussion from Click and Clack, the Car Talk Brothers:

TOM: The Europeans are trying to stretch the interval even farther. Manufacturers are reportedly trying to achieve a 30,000-mile oil-change interval with synthetic oil. ....

That's all fine and wonderful, but there is no analogy between cars and a YZF. In the first place, they have at minimum 3 times the oil volume that a YZF has in order to absorb contaminants, and even a small automotive filter has 25 times the capacity of ours. On average, the typical car engine rarely gets run beyond 4500 rpm, and spends the bulk of it's time loafing along at 2000 or less, at 5-10% of its load capacity. Yeah, they lead a tough life. Sound like your dirt bike?

Even if the transmission and clutch were not in the same oil supply, the typical YZF spends most of its time running at speeds that most car engines can't even reach, and at 50% or more of their rated load. Add to that the fact that it's a ball bearing engine, which puts more specific pressure on the oil film than plain bearings, and now, for the sake of brutality, we'll throw in the gearbox.

Please don't compare a car to the needs of an offroad motorcycle.

8 hrs of actuall riding is alot but I know when we go out we are getting in a definate 5 hours of actuall riding and 3 tanks of gas is roughly is what I end up using
I'll assume you're talking about a 3 gallon tank, since we seem to be discussing longer distances, and 5 hours would be about right. At the more moderate pace that most people run such long distances at, I would still change the oil at least every 3 days, preferably two. You are free to do whatever you like, of course. But don't try to support the argument that such maintenance isn't necessary with the longevity of your YZF. The engine is a modern mechanical marvel, and you're just proving how much it's capable of tolerating. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

Ya, my 03 has been bullet proof. ? My 02 CRF on the other hand was a valve eating machine. ? This is the reason I bought another YZF as again I dont have the time I use to spend working on the bikes and Yamaha (the 03 YZF) has suited me great and been maitance free for the most part as you can tell from my expierance and lack of maintance.lol This is the reason the wife rewarded me with another YZF. Yup she put money back and suprised me when she said lets go get you a new bike as I was going to ride my 03 again. Well the 03 I still will be riding as it is the officail woods bike and going to be run in my Iron Man event as I'm going to make the Iron Man course brutally tough and fun.hehelol

That's all fine and wonderful, but there is no analogy between cars and a YZF. In the first place, they have at minimum 3 times the oil volume that a YZF has in order to absorb contaminants, and even a small automotive filter has 25 times the capacity of ours. On average, the typical car engine rarely gets run beyond 4500 rpm, and spends the bulk of it's time loafing along at 2000 or less, at 5-10% of its load capacity. Yeah, they lead a tough life. Sound like your dirt bike?

Even if the transmission and clutch were not in the same oil supply, the typical YZF spends most of its time running at speeds that most car engines can't even reach, and at 50% or more of their rated load. Add to that the fact that it's a ball bearing engine, which puts more specific pressure on the oil film than plain bearings, and now, for the sake of brutality, we'll throw in the gearbox.

Please don't compare a car to the needs of an offroad motorcycle.

I'll assume you're talking about a 3 gallon tank, since we seem to be discussing longer distances, and 5 hours would be about right. At the more moderate pace that most people run such long distances at, I would still change the oil at least every 3 days, preferably two. You are free to do whatever you like, of course. But don't try to support the argument that such maintenance isn't necessary with the longevity of your YZF. The engine is a modern mechanical marvel, and you're just proving how much it's capable of tolerating. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

ncmountainman- keep your used oil as your right I wont put it in my bike as I'll just continue to leave the current oil in my bike. What sense would that make for me to go through all the TIME of changing my oil only to put your used oil back in.hehelol :confused: Who ever said anything about being broke? :bonk: I have a brand new bike that I dont get to ride and my official old yz450/now woods bike and I have 2 cases of Klotz synthetic sitting in my garage so again keep your oil. I guess if you call time and broke the same thing then I am time broke as I stated above.lol Where do you supose he put's all of his old oil when he changes it daily and stops for fuel or do you just do what alot do that piss me off ever time I clean up the pits and drain it onto the ground? ?

it takes me 5 minutes to change oil,i do the filter every 3rd time(that might take another 5-10 min) i just hope other people don't subscribe to your assanine theory ? ncmm.....out